|This article belongs to the Reboot Timeline|
|Click here to see the Classic Timeline version of this article|
|“||Run! Omnitrix! That's it!||”|
Upgrade has a predominantly blue-black exterior with a violet torso and thighs. He has purple stripes that extend from his body, resembling circuitry, the circle on the front of his head being his eye. Upgrade wears the Omnitrix symbol on his chest.
As a sumo in Ben's imagination in Cutting Corners, he has the build of a sumo. The violet part of his body is T-shaped.
As a toddler, Upgrade looks the same except he is in smaller size.
Powers and Abilities
Upgrade is not completely solid, as he can alternate between the forms of a liquid and a gelatinous being. Due to this, he can reshape himself to let projectiles or blows pass through him by creating a hole in his body at will.
Upgrade can use his internal nanotechnology to merge with and possess any technology by encasing himself over it. The size of the device is not significant and he controls it as naturally as he would his own body. Whenever he merges with technology, he upgrades it into something far more advanced and futuristic, causing new features to form on it.
Upgrade can also mimic technology and has a vast library of schematics to draw upon.[DR 1]
Possessing technology allows him to transform it with seemingly no limit, such as merging with the Rust Bucket and turning it into a space ship. The moment he un-merged with it, it returned to normal.
Upgrade is capable of making certain technology he possesses explode. Due to being made of living metal, he is able to regenerate himself.
Upgrade can make his head or face appear anywhere on the machines he possesses.
Upgrade is capable of jumping exceptionally high.
Upgrade possesses enhanced reflexes and flexibility allowing him to dodge attacks with a little effort.
When merged with machinery, Upgrade's strength is increased, strong enough to overpower and toss opponents.
Upgrade was able to upgrade the Omnitrix to permanently enhance his other aliens.
Upgrade is vulnerable to fire.
Upgrade is sensitive to electromagnetic pulse/fields and magnetic fields.
As a toddler, Upgrade cannot completely merge with technology but could if he was stretched long enough.
Upgrade can sustain damage from attacks on whatever object or technology he is merged with, as demonstrated with Bootleg.
- Upgrade first appeared in Freaky Gwen Ben, where he was used by Gwen in Ben's body to destroy the Titan Gauntlets and defeat Hex.
- In Growing Pains, Upgrade defeated Nanny Nightmare.
- In Steam is the Word, Upgrade got to Steam Smythe's ship and battled the Mechanoids.
- In Cutting Corners, Upgrade defeated Gwen and Max inside a Sumo Slammers game in a daydream. Later, he tried to cut the grass but accidentally annoyed the Boblins.
- In Don't Let the Bass Drop, Upgrade got to DJ Duster's concert.
- In The Beast Inside, Upgrade battled a mutated Lester but was defeated.
- In Xingo, Upgrade unintentionally brought Xingo to reality.
- In Drive You Crazy, Upgrade raced LaGrange.
- In Hole in 10, Upgrade battled the Ground Hawg.
- In Scared Silly, Upgrade defeated Carl.
- In Zombozo-Land, Upgrade shut down the Hypno Tower.
- In Bentuition: Upgrade 01, Upgrade flew around with a skateboard.
- In Bentuition: Upgrade 02, Upgrade upgraded the air conditioner which caused it to fill the Rustbucket with snow.
- In Omni-Tricked: Part 2, Upgrade appeared due to a glitch.
- In Omni-Tricked: Part 3, Upgrade tried to put out a fire twice.
- In Omni-Tricked: Part 4, Upgrade appeared due to a glitch and later caused Vilgax's ship to crash and upgraded the Omnitrix,[note 1] apparently removing himself from the active playlist and getting replaced with Shock Rock.
- In Innervasion Part 4: Mind Over Alien Matter, Upgrade appeared when Glitch recounted the circumstances of his creation.
- Freaky Gwen Ben (first appearance; by Gwen in Ben's body)
- Growing Pains (accidental transformation; as toddler and normal)
- Steam is the Word
- Cutting Corners
- Don't Let the Bass Drop
- The Beast Inside (accidental transformation)
- Drive You Crazy
- Hole in 10 (intended alien was Wildvine)
- Scared Silly (selected alien was Cannonbolt)
- Omni-Tricked: Part 2
- Omni-Tricked: Part 3 (x4)
- Omni-Tricked: Part 4 (x2; removed)
Upgrade is a playable alien character in the game.
Upgrade is initially unavailable but is unlocked towards the middle part of The Scrapyard level.
Upgrade is able to stretch his arms to inhuman lengths, turn into a puddle of slime and shoot a purple energy beam from his eye.
Upgrade's Ultimate Ability consists of him unleashing a devastating eye beam at enemies.
Upgrade is not required to be used at all in order to complete the game.
Naming and Translations
|Portuguese (Br)||Ultra T||From ultra, high and from T, abbreviation of technology|
|Russian||Плазма||From плазма (plazma), plasma|
|Spanish (HA)||Ultra T||From ultra, ultra- and T, abbreviation of technology|
- Unlike his Classic Timeline counterpart:
- Upgrade speaks with a voice that is different from Ben's; in Growing Pains, his voice sounds younger. Upgrade's voice on the reboot is meant to be a deep-voiced interpretation of Ben himself, as if he was the same person - suddenly in a different body with a deep adult voice - but still a kid.[DS 1]
- Upgrade does not have the ability to shoot a plasma blast from his eye.[DR 2] However, he demonstrated this ability in the first reboot game, which is non-canon.
- The crew tried a lot of combos when deciding Upgrade's color scheme, before settling on purple.[DR 3]
- In one of the comics, Upgrade had a color scheme similar to his original series counterpart.
- Upgrade is the first of Ben's regular aliens to be replaced by another in a subsequent season. David Sobolov was disappointed that Upgrade was removed from the show and missed being able to continue the role.[DS 1]
- Despite being replaced with Shock Rock beginning in Season 2, it is possible for Ben to regain access to Upgrade by scanning the DNA sample of another Galvanic Mechamorph[DR 4] and accessing the entire cache of Omnitrix aliens via cycling in new chambers, the latter of which he has learned from Azmuth.[DR 5]
- Ironically, the opening intro for season 2 would not be updated to have Shock Rock in place of Upgrade until Half-Sies.
|Introduced in Season 1||Cannonbolt • Diamondhead • Four Arms • Gax • Grey Matter • Heatblast • Overflow • Stinkfly • Upgrade • Wildvine • XLR8|
|Introduced in Season 2||Rath • Shock Rock|
|Introduced in Season 3||Humungousaur • Slapback|
|Introduced in Season 4||Goop • Jetray • Way Big|
|Introduced in Season 5||Big Chill • Bloxx • Buzzshock • Chromastone • Ripjaws • Spidermonkey • Surge|
|Omni-Enhanced Aliens||Cannonbolt • Diamondhead • Four Arms • Grey Matter • Heatblast • Overflow • Stinkfly • Wildvine • XLR8|
|Omni-Kix Aliens||Cannonbolt • Diamondhead • Four Arms • Heatblast • Humungousaur • Jetray • Rath • Shock Rock • Slapback • XLR8|
|Omni-Naut Aliens||Heatblast • Jetray • Humungousaur • Shock Rock|
|Fusion Aliens||Amalgam Alien • Amalgam Ben • Grey Arms • XLRArmBlastDiamondHeat|
|Non-Canon Aliens||Banana Alien • Black Hat Alien • Hotdawg • Mole-Stache • Scooter Alien|
|Non-Canon Fusion Aliens||Omnitrix Glitch Fusion • Diamondhead-Humungousaur Fusion • Rath Arms • Shock Blast|