|This article belongs to the Classic Continuity|
|“||Who needs water when you've got jaws that can rip through steel?||”|
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Powers and Abilities
- 3 Weaknesses
- 4 History
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Video Games
- 7 Naming and Translations
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
- 10 See Also
Ben as Ripjaws
Ripjaws shares a number of traits with Earth's aquatic life, such as an alligator, an eel, an anglerfish, and a shark. He can change between a fishtail with triangular lines or legs at will and has a phosphorescent light on his head.
In Back with a Vengeance, Ripjaws wore a yellow raincoat.
In Ultimate Alien, Ripjaws had a catfish-like face, green eyes with black pupils, chest plates similar to Humungosaur, three-fingered hands, and green lips. His tail was colored grey like his skin and his fins were a darker shade of green than in the original series. He wore the Ultimatrix symbol on his chest.
In the Ultimate Alien intro, Ripjaws looked almost the same as in the series proper except his tail was black, reflecting his appearance in the original series. His lips were colored black.
In Heroes United, Ripjaws looked mostly the same as in Ultimate Alien except one of his eyes was pink due to a coloring error.
In Omniverse, 16-year-old Ripjaws mostly resembles his original appearance, except that his eyes are green, he now has arm and neck braces, his antenna light is green, he has a big fin on his back, the fins on his arms are longer, he is a little more hunched back, his claws are black, and his tail is bigger and drags behind him. He now has a belt in place of the strap that holds the Omnitrix symbol on it.
11-year-old Ripjaws appears almost exactly the same as he did in the original series, except his eyes and the Omnitrix symbol on his left upper torso are recolored green.
Kevin as Ripjaws
Kevin's Ripjaws looked the exact same as Ben's did in the original series, but without an Omnitrix symbol. His black patch was also on his right upper torso.
Powers and Abilities
Ripjaws' main ability is to breathe underwater and swim at high speeds with amazing agility. He has great endurance and can withstand strong water pressure, meaning he possesses the nature of abyssal aquatic life, hence his blank eyes and the anglerfish light in his forehead.
Ripjaws displays the distinctive feature of turning his legs into a fish's tail and vice-versa, giving him a merman-like appearance. While outside the water environment, he displays a loincloth with a similar pattern to his tail (implying the loincloth wraps around his legs, fusing with it and becoming the tail). While his legs are formed into a tail, Ripjaws can swim very well at great speeds.
Ripjaws has enhanced strength, being able to easily punch a hole in a dock, tear a door of the Perplexahedron open, lasso an anchor, and hold his own against Vulkanus while underwater. He is also capable of lifting more than his own weight.
Ripjaws is capable of digging, as shown when he seemingly had no problem when he popped out of a cluster of sand.
At age 10, Ripjaws' greatest weakness was his inability to stay out of water for too long, requiring it to keep him from dehydrating. However, he has started to rely less on water as he got older, as he had no trouble surviving outside of water at age 16.
Exposure to extreme heat will cause Ripjaws to dehydrate quickly.
Ripjaws is vulnerable to electricity.
- Ripjaws first appeared in The Krakken, where he helped the Krakken defeat Jonah Melville and retrieve her eggs.
- In Last Laugh, Ripjaws defeated some crooks.
- In Secrets, Ripjaws suffered from dehydration on Mt. Rushmore and was nearly caught by Vilgax before the malfunctioning Omnitrix turned him into XLR8.
- In Truth, Ripjaws defeated a Havok Beast and met Phil.
- In The Big Tick, Ripjaws failed to defeat the Great One.
- In Framed, Gwen mentioned Ripjaws was used by Kevin to terrorize Chicago, Illinois.
- In They Lurk Below, Ripjaws battled some Cyber Squids.
- In Back with a Vengeance, Ripjaws saved a drowning man before switching into Stinkfly to fly him to safety.
- In Divided We Stand, Ripjaws went surfing and ended up scaring some tourists away from the beach.
- In Ben 4 Good Buddy, Ripjaws fought the Road Crew and broke into Laurence Wainright's RV to find water.
- In Sleepaway Camper, Ripjaws slept at the bottom of a lake to avoid Max's snoring.
- In Deep, Ben unlocked Ripjaws offscreen by scanning some Piscciss Volann.[DM 1]
- In Perplexahedron, Ripjaws broke himself and Kevin out of a room filled with water.
- In Ben 10-Generator Rex: Heroes United, Ripjaws appeared as one of the many aliens when Ben was explaining his story to Rex.
- In Gone Fishin', Ripjaws did some unsuccessful fishing. Later, Ripjaws went swimming with Magister Patelliday and battled two Mechaneers.
- In The Ballad of Mr. Baumann, Ripjaws defeated Vulkanus.
- In A New Dawn, Ripjaws appeared for a short time when Ben was cycling through his aliens.
Gwen 10 (What-If?)
- Season 1
- Season 2
- Season 4
- Season 2
- Perplexahedron (first reappearance)
- Season 2
- Gone Fishin' (first reappearance; x2)
- Season 7
- Season 8
- A New Dawn (cameo)
- Cartoon Network Action Packs
- Ben 10: Omniverse
- Ben 10 (Issue 2, Issue 4)
Ripjaws is a playable alien in the game.
Naming and Translations
|Albanian||Peshku i Uritur||From peshku (fish) and i uritur (hungry)|
|Arabic||ريب جوس (Rib Jus)||Rip Jaws|
|Chinese||大钢牙||From 大 (Dà), big, 钢 (Gāng), iron, and 牙 (Yá), teeth|
|Croatian||Ralja||From ralje, "the jaws"|
|Dutch||Scheurbek||From scheur, rip, and bek, jaws|
|French||La Mâchoire||From la mâchoire, the jaw|
|German||Kampfkiefer||From kampf, battle, and kiefer, jaw|
|Greek||Σαγόνιας (Sagonias)||From σαγόνι (sagoni), jaw|
|Hebrew||מלתעות||From מלתעות, jaws|
|Hungarian||Penge||From penge, blade|
|Italian||Mastica||From masticare, to chew|
|Japanese||リップジョーズ||From リップ (rippu), rip and ジョーズ (jōzu), jaws|
|Korean||메가죠스||From 메가, mega, and 죠스, jaws|
|Norwegian||Rivkjeft||From riv, tear, and kjeft, mouth|
|Polish||Zębal||From zęby, teeth|
|Portuguese (Br)||Aquático||From aquático, aquatic|
|Romanian||Falcă||From falcă, jaw|
|Russian||Челюсти (Čeljusti)||From челюсти, jaws|
|Serbian||Свирепи (Svirepi)||From свирепи (svirepi), cruel-guy|
|Spanish (HA)||Acuático||From acuático, aquatic|
|Spanish (Spain)||Fauces||From fauces, jaws|
|Turkish||Yüzençene||From yüzen, float, and çene, jaw|
- Ripjaws' voice has changed over the course of his appearances:
- In the original series, he spoke with a deep, rasping voice.
- In Omniverse, he speaks in a higher, garbled voice that is slightly similar to how a person sounds underwater.
- Out of the original ten aliens Ben had access to, Ripjaws was the only one absent from Season 3 of the original series.
- 11-year-old Ripjaws replaces 11-year-old Grey Matter in the opening intro for Omniverse's Arc 5.
- 11-year-old Ripjaws was not necessarily planned to appear in Omniverse flashbacks.[DJW 1]
- Ripjaws was first envisioned as a purple crocodile-like creature under the name Razorjaws. Dave Johnson designed his finalized sketch but had many regrets, noting the weird head shape and numerous teeth in place of lips made it difficult for animators to draw and resulted in him having few appearances.[DJ 1]
- Ripjaws never received a water respirator similar to the one worn by the Piscciss Volann Prisoner during his appearances in the original series because he was never meant to be used outside of water.[DJW 2]
- There are currently no plans to feature Ripjaws in the reboot.[DR 1]