|This article belongs to the Classic Continuity|
|Click here to see the Reboot Continuity version of this article|
|“||I didn't create a weapon. All of you did. I created the ultimate device for understanding all the beings of the universe.||”|
The Omnimatrix, better known as the Omnitrix, was a watch-like device that attached to Ben Tennyson's wrist at the beginning of the series and is the device that the franchise revolves around. The device is a portable library of intergalactic genetic data that allowed the wielder to alter their DNA at will and transform into a variety of different alien species, each with their own unique abilities.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Purpose
- 3 Known Users
- 4 Modes
- 5 Features
- 6 Known Aliens
- 7 Appearances
- 8 Toys
- 9 Naming and Translations
- 10 Notes
- 11 Trivia
- 12 References
- 13 See Also
In the first form that Ben encountered, the Omnitrix looked like a large wristwatch, primarily black and grey in color, with a grey (or black) dial in the middle (like a watch face) which has a green hourglass shape (the intergalactic "peace" symbol, also on Plumber's Badges and Galvan Prime) on it. It has a circular tube. When Ben selects his aliens it shows the alien's silhouette.
The prototype Omnitrix (before recalibration) in Omniverse flashbacks looks the same as that of the original series, albeit it has two buttons instead of one and the hourglass symbol on Ben's transformations is now green instead of white, due to the removal of the scratch guard.
After recalibrating, the Omnitrix resembled a slimmer and sleeker watch-like shape, now with a green wristband, and the face of the dial becoming black and green. The inside of the hourglass symbol glowed in different colours during certain moments; these colours signify the mode that the Omnitrix was presently in. When Ben is selecting his aliens it shows the alien's hologram standing on the core rather than the alien's silhouette.
To the rest of the universe, the Omnitrix had a two-fold purpose. One was to promote inter-species understanding by allowing other beings to experience different ways of life. The other was to function as a repository for the DNA of over a million different species that Azmuth thinks are intelligent.[DM 1] This collection of DNA is then preserved in the event that any of species catalouged should ever be rendered extinct, allowing the Omnitrix to restore them to life.
Unbeknownst to everyone else, Azmuth had a third reason for creating the Omnitrix. He hoped that his estranged lover Zennith, who had left him as he created Ascalon, would learn of his change and come back to him.
|Ben Tennyson||In And Then There Were 10, Ben found the Omnitrix and it put itself on his wrist.||In Back with a Vengeance, the Omnitrix was attempted to be removed by Kevin Levin.|
|In Back with a Vengeance, Gwen gave Ben the Omnitrix and he put it back on.||After the Omniverse flashbacks, Ben removed the Omnitrix off-screen.|
|In Ben 10 Returns: Part 1, Ben put the Omnitrix back on.||In Primus, the Omnitrix removed itself.|
|In Primus, Ben took the Omnitrix from Vilgax and put it back on.||In The Final Battle: Part 1, Humungousaur removed the Omnitrix.|
|Gwen Tennyson||In the Gweniverse, Gwen found the Omnitrix instead of Ben.|
|In the non-canon Gwen 10, Gwen found and put on the Omnitrix.||In Gwen 10, the Omnitrix came off when Gwen was hit by an electric bolt.|
|Max Tennyson||In the non-canon Gwen 10, the Omnitrix put itself on Max.|
|Albedo||Prior to Good Copy, Bad Copy, Albedo created and put on a duplicate Omnitrix.||In Good Copy, Bad Copy, Azmuth removed the Omnitrix from Albedo.|
|In the Vilgax Attacks Timeline, Albedo used a copied Omnitrix.|
|Azmuth||In Primus, Azmuth put on the Omnitrix.||In Primus, the Omnitrix was removed by Vilgax.|
|Vilgax||In Primus, Vilgax put on the Omnitrix.||In Primus, the Omnitrix was removed by Ben.|
|In The Final Battle: Part 1, Vilgax put on the Omnitrix.||In The Final Battle: Part 2, the Omnitrix was destroyed by Ben.|
Active Mode is the Omnitrix's default mode. The actual usage time is 10 minutes at a time.[pop-up 1] If he changes from one form to another, the combined time for the changes can be no more than 10 minutes, likely less because of power leakage.[DM 2][DM 3] Multiple transformations are energy-intensive and deplete the watch's power supply more quickly than single transformations. Three or four transformations would leave him with substantially less than a combined 10 minutes of time.[DM 4] The Omnitrix seems to time out sooner if it's taxed by activities with a lot of moving, like fighting. However, if regular transformations are tampered with, the user can't always turn back.After the Omnitrix recalibrated, the symbols on the aliens were also of the green color, and located on their chests due to a glitch.
When the Omnitrix times out, it goes into Recharge Mode. It takes around 5 minutes to recharge, though it may take more time if tampered with. Recharge Mode's main purpose is to prevent the alien DNA from attaching permanently to its host.[pop-up 2]
The Omnitrix is powered by a special self-renewable power supply that will long outlive Ben.
The Omnitrix can instantly recharge to protect the user from a direct physical threat. This was shown when Ben was stuck to a wall about to be killed by Kevin 11 and when Zs'Skayr tried to possess Ben. Both times, despite just timing out within a minute earlier, the Omnitrix recharges instantly when the user's life is put in direct threat. This feature was switched off after the recalibration.
If the user is knocked out or hurt enough, the Omnitrix will revert them to their normal form.
The recalibrated Omnitrix times out with no warning due to the warning being switched off when the Omnitrix recalibrated. When the Omnitrix was repairing the DNAliens' DNA to make them human again, the Omnitrix went into Recharge Mode after a while.After the Omnitrix had reset, the time out warning feature was turned back on. When recharging the hourglass flashes either red instead of remaining a solid red, as it had when the Omnitrix was in its original form. The Omnitrix can alternatively flash green, rather than red, when signalling a time out.
When a new DNA sample has been unlocked from the Codon Stream, or when the Omnitrix captures new DNA not present in the Codon Stream, Capture Mode is activated. It can also reclaim lost or removed alien DNA that was in the Codon Stream.
It scans to match the species, then moves the identified species to the active playlist. If it's seen the species before, it does it passively, without Ben actively scanning.[DM 5]
Unlike in the original series, the Omnitrix in Alien Force would not scan by touch (due to its recalibration).The Omnitrix could scan Kevin's mutations, but it was programmed not to.[DM 6]
In Self-Destruct Mode, the Omnitrix charges energy while counting down until it explodes. S.D.M. functions as a last resort should the Omnitrix fall into the wrong hands. It can be activated by Voice Command.
When in S.D.M. for a few days, the Omnitrix can charge enough energy to cause an energy ripple that will destroy the entire universe. While in S.D.M., the Omnitrix can send out energy bursts capable of throwing the user through the air.
When the S.D.M. is activated, the Omnitrix sends out a signal that any ship can pick up (unless it was activated by Voice Command), such as when Vilgax picked it up with a stolen ship and Tetrax picked up the signal, likely as a distress signal.The S.D.M was used and successfully triggered in an attempt to force Vilgax to give it to Ben, although he refused. It only destroyed itself, and not the universe, because it was charged for only 30 seconds (as opposed to a few days).
The Omnitrix begins to recalibrate while selecting a set of new aliens.
The Omnitrix makes a beep-like noise, then it changes to a glowing black and green and morphs into its new shape.
The Omnitrix has hundreds of different forms (this is to fit different users).[DM 7]
The Omnitrix gives its wielder a new set of aliens depending on whether it is a hard or soft reset.[DM 8]When hacking the Omnitrix, Kevin accidentally and briefly reverted the Omnitrix to its original appearance before changing it back. Azmuth could also program it to recalibrate remotely.[DM 9]
- The Omnitrix mainly allowed for the user to transform into a numerous variety of alien life-forms that are each with their own unique powers and abilities (along with their weaknesses) and in a selection of alien DNA that is in groups of 10.
- The Omnitrix acted as a wireless receiver for the Codon Stream.
- By accessing the Codon Stream, the Omnitrix used special Omni-Energy to merge its wearer's DNA with the DNA samples it held to create transformations.[pop-up 3] Alien DNA is "injected" into the user, meaning they retain the wielder's personality, memories, and consciousness.[DR 1] The Omnitrix could not transform the user into another of its own species.
- In order for the user to change the size, the matter was created from energy or reconstituted to energy as needed.
- The Omnitrix had a quick change feature.
- The user could change back by turning the second ring on the dial to the 3 o'clock position. When Ben appeared to be changing mentally, it was just a coincidence. He was out of time and changing anyway.[DM 10]
- Manually touching the Omnitrix symbol not only allows the user to immediately transform back to normal but can also be used to change forms while already transformed.
- The Omnitrix could alter its size to fit the user's wrist.
- When transformed, the Omnitrix protected the user from negative effects, including:
- The Omnitrix had a built-in energy feedback blast to defend against anyone trying to force it off of its owner.[pop-up 4]
- Once placed on the wearer, the Omnitrix could not be removed by normal physical means.
- The Omnitrix could show a database image of all aliens unlocked.
- The Omnitrix was able to repair genetic damage, such as turn DNAliens back to normal and remove Xenocites.
- The Omnitrix could genetically manipulate DNA or reprogram a species' DNA (like fuse DNA from different species of aliens).
- The Omnitrix had a scratch guard that Ben didn't know how to remove. It fell off after Ben 10: Destroy All Aliens.[DJW 1]
- The Omnitrix changed the aliens' eye color to match the user's eye color, a feature that can be turned off.
- The Omnitrix could be synchronized with another Omnitrix, even without the user's intent.
- The Omnitrix was waterproof.[DM 11]
- The Omnitrix could replace one of its DNA samples with someone else from the same species.[DM 12]
- The recalibrated Omnitrix granted the user full understanding of the aliens' powers upon transforming into them.[DM 13]
- The Omnitrix has the ablity to redirect scans from inorganic aliens if the power is boosted.
- The Omnitrix had AI (Artificial Intelligence).
- The Omnitrix functioned as a GPS.
- The Omnitrix could create a hologram map, which is similar to the one in Plumber Badges.
- The Omnitrix had a 2-way communication system with Plumber Badges.
- The Omnitrix had a built-in Universal Translator and could also translate other Earth languages.[DM 14]
- The Omnitrix could teleport the user through Azmuth's teleportation channel.
- The Omnitrix could display ten colors, each meaning something different:
- Green: Active Mode
- Red: Recharge Mode
- Yellow: Capture Mode
- Blue: Recalibration Mode
- Purple: Controlled or risk of temporal threat
- Orange: Self Destruct Mode (original Omnitrix form)
- Grey: Inactive Mode
- Black: Stop Mode
- Pink: Under spell effect
- The Omnitrix had two known display modes.
- Black silhouettes of the aliens.
- Dark green holograms of the aliens.
- By changing the settings on the Omnitrix, either display modes could have been used with either Omnitrix form.
- Prior to its recalibration, the Omnitrix automatically used the molecules of its wearer's clothes to create coverings for the aliens.[pop-up 5] This function was lost when the the Omnitrix recalibrated; instead, nanomachines broke its wearer's clothes down and stored them until the transformation ended.[DM 15]
- When the user was transformed, an Omnitrix symbol appeared on the chest. The symbol was actually the Omnitrix itself, appearing in this form because many species don't have wrists. Although the Omnitrix was in the center of the chest area on every alien in Alien Force is for easy access, it was put in different places on some aliens in the original series.
- The limited positioning of the symbols was the result of a glitch of the Omnitrix.[DJW 2]
- The Omnitrix could be controlled by voice, called Voice Command.
- Access Master Control
- Unlocks the Master Control but only works to Azmuth's voice.
- Decouple Omnitrix Command Code: 000 - Release Coupling - 0
- Removes the Omnitrix.
- Omnitrix Self Destruct in (time): Command code: 000 - Destruct - 0
- Activates Self-Destruct Mode.
- Abort Self Destruct Code 10
- Deactivates Self-Destruct Mode.
- Omnitrix Reset Code 10
- Activates Reset Mode.
- Omnitrix Abort Reset Code 10
- Deactivates Reset Mode.
- Command Function Override Code 10
- Overrides function.
- Access Master Control
- If the Omnitrix's faceplate cover is broken off, the result was DNA hybrids.
- When exposed to electromagnetic interference, the Omnitrix could cause unintentional transformations and the Omnitrix will be unable to deactivate until the source of the interference is gone.
- This could work in reverse, rapidly changing the user from one form to another until someone/something stops it.
- Technical glitches that would leave all the aliens naked and cold.[DJW 2]
- Sometimes the Omnitrix would randomly leave the user stuck as an alien for an indefinite amount of time that could only be deactivated by Azmuth hitting the Omnitrix symbol.
The following list shows all known transformations during the timeframe of the original series and Omniverse flashbacks. Unless noted, all of these transformations were locked by the recalibration in Ben 10 Returns: Part 1.
The following list shows all transformations unlocked during the timeframe of Alien Force since the Omnitrix's recalibration. Unless noted, all of these transformations were transferred into the Ultimatrix prior to the Omnitrix's destruction in The Final Battle: Part 2.
- All episodes except Ken 10.
- Ben 10: Secret of the Omnitrix
- Ben 10: Race Against Time (alternate timeline)
- Ben 10: Destroy All Aliens
- The Forge of Creation (first reappearance)
- The Ultimate Enemy: Part 2 (flashback)
- The More Things Change: Part 1 (first reappearance)
- A Jolt from the Past
- Trouble Helix
- It Was Them
- Of Predators and Prey: Part 2
- Voice Changer Set
- Omnitrix Set with Punching sounds
- Omnitrix FX
- Deluxe Omnitrix
- Digital Omnitrix
- Omnitrix Special Hologram 10-pack with Exclusive Alien X Hologram
- Omnitrix X10
- Omnitrix disc viewer 1
- Omnitrix disc viewer 2
Naming and Translations
|Hungarian||Omnitrix||From the original English name.|
|Spanish (HA)||Omnitrix||From the original English name; /omnɪ'trɪks/ (since Hunted until Secrets) and /'omnɪtrɪks/ (And Then There Were 10 and since Truth).|
|Spanish (Spain)||Omnitrix||From the original English name.|
- The Omnitrix was originally called the Megawatt (alternatively spelled "Megawhat"), short for Megadeoxyribonucleictransdimensionaltransforminalnumerator.[DR 4][pop-up 6]
- Originally, the Omnitrix only held thousands of DNA samples.[pop-up 3] This was retconned in Alien Force, as it was revealed that there were over a million DNA samples in the Omnitrix.
- The Omnitrix is loaded with underpowered and powerless aliens that have not been seen on-screen, many of which had been unlocked when Ben was 11.[MW 1]
- The Galvans were the first species added to the Omnitrix.[DJW 4] However, Grey Matter's DNA sample came from neither Azmuth nor Albedo.[DJW 5]
- The Omnitrix contained Vilgax's DNA until the power surge on the Chimerian Hammer caused it to malfunction and deleted the DNA.[DR 3]
- The Omnitrix's green glow is its unique DNA energy signal.[pop-up 7]
- Ben's transformations happen in an instant. Transformation sequences show it in slow motion.[pop-up 8]
- Many of the problems Ben had with getting the Omnitrix to work were also safeguards put there by Azmuth.[pop-up 9]
- Azmuth compared the Omnitrix to Noah's Ark and Ben to Noah.
- The Omnitrix was originally intended for Max and was programmed to work for his DNA because Ben is Max's grandson, the close genetic match is what allowed him to use it.[pop-up 10]
- The Omnitrix's power source was smaller and more powerful than Sub Energy.[pop-up 11]
- Ben found a couple unknown aliens while playing with the Omnitrix off-screen between War of the Worlds: Part 2 and Vengeance of Vilgax: Part 1.[DM 8]
- Originally, the aliens' Omnitrix symbols' grey and white coloration in the original series was caused by a malfunction.[DM 16] From a design standpoint it was mostly changed because that's how the crew decided to color it.[DM 17]
- The reason for most aliens wearing Ben's black/white t-shirt was because it looked cool and it helped make all the alien's appear with a common thread.[DJ 1]
- According to Derrick J. Wyatt, the Omnitrix had technical glitches that would cause random flight and abilities not native to the alien species.[DJW 2]
- In Max Out, the recalibrated Omnitrix spoke in a voice similar to Ben's, but deeper. In all following episodes, it spoke in Ben's normal voice.
- The Omnitrix's voice-activated self-destruct sequence is the same code from "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" that James T. Kirk used to activate the Enterprise's one minute self-destruct sequence (000 destruct-0).
- The recalibrated Omnitrix aliens yell their names after Ben transforms into them because "they are asserting their identity as they gain consciousness".[DM 13]
- Ben 10: Secret of the Omnitrix
- Solitary Alignment
- War of the Worlds: Part 1
- Kevin 11
- Ultimate Weapon
- Grudge Match
- Ghostfreaked Out
- War of the Worlds: Part 2
- The Secret of Chromastone
- The Final Battle: Part 2
- Vengeance of Vilgax: Part 1
- And Then There Were 10
- Alone Together
- Good Copy, Bad Copy
- Under Wraps
- Dr. Animo and the Mutant Ray
- Vengeance of Vilgax: Part 2
- Max Out
- Professor Paradox
- Ben Again
- The Final Battle: Part 1
- A Small Problem
- Trouble Helix
- File:Species in the Omnitrix.PNG
- File:Dwayne Favorite Alien.PNG
- File:Omnitrix Transformation Duration.PNG
- File:Original Omnitrix Quick-Change.PNG
- File:Omnitrix and Ultimatrix Scan Mode.PNG
- File:Omnitrix and Ultimatrix Could Scan Kevin's Mutations.PNG
- File:Omnitrix Reset.PNG
- File:Omnitrix Remote Recalibration.PNG
- File:Ben Revert.PNG
- File:Omnitrix and Ultimatrix Waterproof.PNG
- File:Omnitrix and Ultimatrix Could Replace DNA Samples.PNG
- File:Kevin's Original Car.PNG
- File:Omnitrix and Ultimatrix Could Translate Earth Languages.PNG
- File:Ben's Clothes During Transformations.PNG
- File:OS Grey and White Symbols Original Explanation.PNG
- File:UA Young Ben Green Omnitrix Symbol.PNG
- File:Ben Shouting Out Alien Names.PNG
- File:Omnitrix Time Limit 10 Mins.png
- File:Omnitrix Time Limit.png
- File:Omnitrix Merge DNA.png
- File:Omnitrix Built-In Energy Feedback.png
- File:Omnitrix Clothes.png
- I-10: The Ben 10 User Generated Experience; file
- File:Omnitrix Green Glow.png
- File:Slow Motion Transformations.png
- File:Omnitrix Safeguards.PNG
- File:Omnitrix Jump at Ben.png
- Bandai; file
- Azmuth (creator)
- Ben Tennyson (former wielder)
- Primus (DNA database planet)
- Codon Stream (DNA database)
- Omnitrix (Ben 10,000) (future version)
|Omnitrix (Ben 10,000)||Biomnitrix||Nemetrix||Ultimatrix (Recreated)|
|Omnitrix (Replica)||Hero Watch||Power Watch||Zombitrix|