|This article belongs to the Classic Timeline|
|“||Highbreeds were the very first race in the Universe. All species hence, other than pure-blooded Highbreeds, are nothing but mongrels! Hideous abominations of nature!||”|
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Behavior
- 3 History
- 4 Powers and Abilities
- 5 Weaknesses
- 6 Notable Highbreed
- 7 Appearances
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See Also
- 10 References
The Highbreed were originally a white humanoid plant-like species with black hands and feet, a purple face with red eyes, along with eyes on their chest. They usually had four eyes on their face (though some had only three), and the placement of the eyes would sometimes differ.
After the genetic repair, Highbreed now come in many colors.
The Atasians call themselves the Highbreed because they despise every other species and believe themselves to be "above" them. They also believe that they were the very first intelligent life-forms ever in existence in the history of the Universe,[merch 1] but they have no proof of it and simply made it up.[DM 1]
The Highbreed are xenophobic to the extent they believe that their DNA is the purest of all alien species and seek to cleanse the universe of "lower life forms". To achieve this, they sent advance forces of Highbreed and Xenocites, who built massive teleporter gates in secret, through which the main Highbreed armada arrived and destroyed the natives and their planet.
The Highbreed make no effort to hide their hatred for other races; a Highbreed that Humungousaur fought openly and relentlessly insulted him with remarks like "filth" and "scum," and even said that Humungousaur had "infected" him when Humungousaur bit his hand.
Due to the Highbreed believing that their DNA is the purest of all alien species, they have tried to maintain their blood purity for so long that it has led to much inbreeding. This idea of racial purity became their undoing, because of lack of genetic diversity in the Highbreed gene pool led the Highbreed's immune system to become weak, making them vulnerable to infection, disease and sterility; their entire race was rendered completely sterile and without children, the Highbreed would become extinct. The Highbreed were dying out but didn't wish to do so alone, spurring their xenocidal rampage throughout the universe to extreme levels. They wanted to take the rest of the universe with them by attacking any species they found or encountered and bringing them to extinction like they were. They are fiercely loyal to their commander, and for them obeying orders and dying is more important for them than to live.
Ben used the Omnitrix to reconstruct the DNA of 99.99% of Highbreed in the universe[DM 2] with the DNA of the aliens in the Codon Stream. The shock of losing the genetic consistency that had been a pillar of their cultural identity for so long drives the council to immediately consider committing mass suicide as their only remaining honorable route. Reinrassig III then appears and convinces them that Ben helped them live again. The council then elects Reinrassig the new Highbreed Supreme. Afterwards, he declares that the war is over.
Powers and Abilities
The Highbreed have vast physical strength (greater than that of Vaxasaurians) and sport wings that allow them to fly.
Highbreed can open their chest up, revealing root-like tentacles they can use to drink water from the ground.
Highbreed can rapidly shoot claw darts from their long and pointed fingers.
Due to Augstaka being cold, Highbreed have difficulty surviving and operating in warmer climates, which will cause them to dehydrate if they do not find water.
Before their DNA was rewritten, Highbreed were vulnerable to disease and sterility, and they were on the verge of extinction.
- Reinrassig III (Methanosian arm)
- Highbreed Supreme
- First Bailiff
- Second Bailiff
- Highbreed Commander
- Unknown (the Omnitrix's DNA sample of a Highbreed)
- Darkstar Rising
- Alone Together (Reinrassig III)
- Inside Man
- Birds of a Feather
- War of the Worlds: Part 1
- War of the Worlds: Part 2
- Universe vs. Tennyson (first reappearance)
Cartoon Network Action Packs
- The Highbreed had concept art drawn by Eric Canete, whereas their final design was created by Glen Murakami, with color styling by Chris Hooten.[GW 1]
- Dwayne McDuffie got the idea for the Highbreed from bananas.[DM 3]
- To explain this reference, beyond both Highbreed and Bananas being plants, both have in common the fact that they have no genetic variation among their species, are sterile, and are vulnerable to deadly infections that take advantage of their lack of diversity. Modern bananas are duplicated through plant cloning as their seeds are far too small and completely inert, even if they could be fertilized.
- Dwayne thought of the Highbreed as Ben's most physically powerful enemy, although they aren't enemies anymore.[DM 4] Their strength ranges from being a little bit weaker than Vilgax to substantially stronger.[DM 5]
- At least one Highbreed has gained Celestialsapien DNA after the genetic repair, but he probably can't use the Celestialsapien power.[DM 1]
- Vilgax was ready to face the Highbreed invasions on his territories.[DM 6]
- Ben was not the only hero that thwarted the Highbreed's invasions, as heroes on many planets fought them locally.[DM 1]
- There are hundreds of millions of Highbreed.[DM 7]
- The Highbreed are visually based on, and evolved from, plants.[DM 3][DM 8][DM 9]
- Ironically, the name Highbreed sounds similar to "Hybrid", a mix between two different species, despite them caring greatly about their "purity".
- The Highbreed, before their DNA was rewritten and their attitude towards other races changed, had much in common with the German Nazi party as they tried to exterminate all other races and were obsessed with racial "purity".
- The Highbreed are highly intelligent, as evidenced by their highly advanced technology. Their intellect is possibly on par with the Galvans, as they considered them as the only species able to endanger their invasion, and even bothered to stated that they are more intelligent than other life forms.
- The Highbreed do not wear clothes because they completely reject the customs of decency and galactic culture.[DJW 1]
- If the Highbreed appeared in Omniverse flashbacks, they would look exactly the same as they did in the previous two series.[DJW 2]
- The Highbreed have some similarity to the Daleks from Doctor Who, like:
- They both believe all other species are inferior to themselves.
- Their purity is the cause of their race dying with the only solution of survival being to breed with other species/alien races.
- The genetically repaired Highbreed come in multiple colors (similar to the New Dalek Paradigm).
- The leader of the Highbreed is known as the Highbreed Supreme, while Dalek ranks include a Dalek Supreme.
- Both Highbreed and the Daleks were inspired by random objects. Dwayne McDuffie got the idea of the Highbreed from bananas, whereas the the Daleks' exosuits were inspired by a glass salt when demonstrating how the Daleks should move.
- When asked what the name of a Highbreed Omnitrix transformation would be, Dwayne McDuffie jokingly said Moot, as it means "little to no importance or irreverent".[DM 10]