|This article belongs to the Classic Continuity|
|Click here to see the Reboot Continuity version of this article|
Ben as Grey Matter
Grey Matter is a grey-skinned, frog-like, bipedal alien that is only four inches tall with large green eyes, which have rectangular pupils and horizontal eyelids.
In the original series, Grey Matter wore a white jumpsuit with a thin vertical black stripe down the front, his eyes were yellowish-green, his forehead had a larger version of the jumpsuit's stripe, and the original Omnitrix symbol was on his back.
In Omniverse, Grey Matter now has a green jumpsuit with a black belt. His suit collar is now black, and the stripe on his head and jumpsuit are no longer present. He wears black, fingerless gloves with a green rectangle on the back. His neck is slightly longer, his Omnitrix symbol has returned to his back.
11-year-old Grey Matter in Omniverse looks exactly the same as he did in the original series except his collar is black, his eyes are green, and his skin tone is slightly different.
Gwen as Grey Matter
Gwen as Grey Matter had Gwen's hair and more oval-shaped eyes, with much smaller pupils. She wore a light blue jumpsuit with dark blue sleeves, and the Omnitrix symbol was on her back. She lacked the stripes Ben's Grey Matter has.
Ken as Grey Matter
Ken's Grey Matter looked the same as 10-year-old Grey Matter in the original series.
Powers and Abilities
Grey Matter's small size belies his great calculative and technical intellect. He can create complicated machines from spare parts, understand the function of any device at a glance, and make sophisticated repairs to complex machines (such as a warp-drive engine).
Grey Matter's intellect serves as a problem solver and analytical help in difficult situations. This allows Grey Matter to think more strategically when brute force is inefficient. In fact, Grey Matter is smart enough to know how to unlock the original Omnitrix's Master Control, something only Ken has demonstrated.
Grey Matter can sometimes manipulate living things by stimulating certain parts of their nervous system if such beings can be controlled by external stimuli.
Grey Matter's size allows him to squeeze into small spaces and can climb walls due to microscopic pads on his skin.[pop-up 2] He also has sharp teeth and his slimy skin makes him difficult to grab.
Grey Matter was the weakest alien in the original series due to his miniscule size, but he compensates with his intellect and efficient technological and calcuative skills.
Grey Matter is amphibious and has gills.[DJW 1]
Grey Matter has a long prehensile tongue, owing to his insectivore nature. As a Galvan, he also possesses a 'pre-brain' which deals with all basic bodily functions.
Grey Matter's small size makes him unsuitable for physical battle, so he must outsmart his enemies in a fight. Animals like dogs and cats can be a problem, as they may see Grey Matter as a chew toy or food to them.
Despite possessing immense intelligence, Grey Matter can still make miscalculations, as his attempt to upgrade the Rust Bucket's air conditioner caused it to overheat instead, incapacitating the vehicle.
According to himself, Grey Matter sometimes does not know what he is talking about.
Grey Matter does not know everything, as seen when he did not know (at first) which galaxy his species is from.
- Grey Matter first appeared in Washington B.C., where he searched through a whole aisle of cereal boxes for a Golden Sumo Slammers card.
- In Hunted, Grey Matter defeated Kraab and SixSix.
- In A Small Problem, the Omnitrix malfunctioned, trapping Ben as Grey Matter for most of the episode.
- In Secrets, Grey Matter defeated one of Vilgax's drones before the malfunctioning Omnitrix turned him into Upgrade.
- In Truth, Grey Matter defeated a Null Guardian.
- In Grudge Match, Grey Matter defeated one of Slix Vigma's drones.
- In Ultimate Weapon, Grey Matter snuck into a building, helped Gwen and Max to get in and opened a safe.
- In They Lurk Below, Grey Matter saved a drowning man.
- In Ghostfreaked Out, Grey Matter fled from Zs'Skayr.
- In Back with a Vengeance, Grey Matter appeared about eight times. Firstly, he appeared when Ben unlocked the Master Control. Then, he appeared in a photo. Later, Grey Matter escaped from Vilgax's grip while he and Kevin 11 where arguing. In the Null Void, Grey Matter was used several times to evade Vilgax and Kevin. At the end of the episode, Ben accidentally transformed into Grey Matter, remembering that the Master Control was once again locked.
- In Midnight Madness, Grey Matter was hypnotized into being Gwen's slave.
- In Merry Christmas, Grey Matter accidentally destroyed the Rust Bucket's air conditioner and later (intentionally) destroyed the Jinglelator.
- In The Unnaturals, Grey Matter stopped some thieves from stealing the Liberty Bell and won an MP3 player in a contest.
- In Be Afraid of the Dark, Grey Matter escaped from Zs'Skayr and built a Sun Gun.
- In Perfect Day, Grey Matter defeated a mutated Cash and J.T. in a dream.
- In Ben 10: Secret of the Omnitrix, Grey Matter defeated Dr. Animo.
- In Ben 10: Race Against Time, Grey Matter rewired various machines in Mrs. Dalton's diner to throw various food at all the customers.
- In Ben 10: Destroy All Aliens, Grey Matter escaped Retaliator and ran back to his house.
- In Snack Break, Grey Matter attempted to retrieve his snack in a vending machine, but reverted before he could grab it and, as a result, got stuck in the machine.
- In Gwen 10, Grey Matter was chased by a raccoon.
- In So Long, and Thanks for All the Smoothies, Grey Matter stopped the Vreedle Brothers from shooting at him and Rook.
- In Have I Got a Deal for You, Grey Matter was part of an accidental transformation chain along with Juryrigg, Nanomech, and Bloxx.
- In Of Predators and Prey: Part 2, Grey Matter defeated Tyrannopede.
- In Rad, Grey Matter repaired Rad's ship for them to escape.
- In It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Ben World: Part 2, Grey Matter repaired Brainfrog's Omnitrix, who repaired his in return.
- In A New Dawn, Grey Matter appeared for a short time when Ben was cycling through his aliens.
- No Watch Ben
- Season 1
- Season 2
- Truth (selected alien was Four Arms)
- Grudge Match
- Ultimate Weapon
- They Lurk Below (selected alien was Ripjaws)
- Ghostfreaked Out
- Back with a Vengeance (8x; last time was an accidental transformation)
- Season 3
- Midnight Madness (under hypnosis)
- Merry Christmas (2x; second time selected alien was Four Arms)
- The Unnaturals (selected alien was XLR8)
- Be Afraid of the Dark (accidental transformation)
- Season 4
- Perfect Day (selected alien was Heatblast)
- Ben 10: Secret of the Omnitrix (selected alien was Stinkfly)
- Ben 10: Race Against Time (alternate timeline; selected alien was Four Arms)
- Ben 10: Destroy All Aliens
- Season 2
- Gwen 10 (non-canon)
- Season 4
- Ken 10 (2x)
- Season 1
- So Long, and Thanks for All the Smoothies (first reappearance; intended alien was Rath)
- Have I Got a Deal for You (accidental transformation; cameo)
- Of Predators and Prey: Part 2 (intended alien was Way Big)
- Season 3
- Season 7
- Season 8
- A New Dawn (cameo)
- No Watch Ben
- Season 5
- Cartoon Network Action Packs
Grey Matter is a playable alien in the game.
Naming and Translations
|Albanian||Materia Gri||From materia gri, materia (matter) and gri (grey)|
|Arabic||جراي ماتر||From ماتر, matter, and جراي grey|
|Bulgarian||Сиво Вещество (Civo Veshtestvo)||From сиво (civo), grey and вещество (veshtestvo), matter|
|Chinese||小奇兵||From 小 (Xiǎo), little, and 奇兵 (Qí Bīng), soldier|
|Croatian||Siva Tvar||From siva, grey, and tvar, matter|
|Danish||Grå Substans||From Grå, grey, and Substans, matter|
|Dutch||Grijze Massa||From grijze, grey, and massa, matter|
|Finnish||Harmaa Haitta||From harmaa, grey, and haitta, disadvantage|
|French||Le Tétard Gris||From gris, grey, and tétard, tadpole|
|Greek||Γκρίζα Ύλη||From Γκρί, gray, and ύλη, matter|
|Hebrew||תא אפור||From תא, cell, and אפור, grey|
|Hungarian||Ragacska||From ragacs, putty|
|Italian||Materia Grigia||From materia, matter, and grigia, grey|
|Japanese||グレイマター||From グレイ (gurei), grey, and マター (matā), matter|
|Korean||미니그레이||From 미니, mini, and 그레이, grey|
|Norwegian||Gråbarken||From grå, grey, and barken, bark|
|Polish||Szara Materia||From szara, grey, and materia, matter|
|Portuguese (Br)||Massa Cinzenta||From massa, mass, and cinzenta, grey|
|From cerebel, cerebellum|
From materie, matter, and cenusie, grey
|From Инопланетянин, alien|
From Гуманойд (gumanoyd), humanoid
|Serbian||Сива Материја (Siva Materija)||From сива (siva), grey, and материја (materija), matter|
|Spanish (HA)||Materia Gris||From materia, matter, and gris, grey|
|Spanish (Spain)||Materia Gris||From materia, matter, and gris, grey|
|Swedish||Grå Dvärgen||From grå, grey, and dvärgen, dwarf|
|Turkish||Gri Madde||From gri, grey, and madde, matter|
Grey Matter is named after grey matter, one of the components of the central nervous system.
- Grey Matter is Ben's smartest alien.[DJW 2]
- Grey Matter is the second smallest alien in Ben's arsenal; the overall smallest being Nanomech.
- Grey Matter is stated to be about 6 inches (15.24 cm) tall.
- Grey Matter's DNA was the first to be added to the original Omnitrix, though neither Azmuth nor Albedo was the source of the DNA sample.[DJW 3]
- Grey Matter's voice has changed over the course of his appearances in the Classic Continuity.
- 11-year-old Grey Matter is replaced with 11-year-old Ripjaws in the opening intro of Omniverse's Arc 5.
- A running gag in the original series was that when Ben sometimes selects a big and powerful alien, he gets Grey Matter instead.
- Grey Matter, Juryrigg, and Feedback are the only aliens with their own theme song.
- Grey Matter is the first alien to stay in a whole episode due to an Omnitrix malfunction; the second being Rath.
- Diamond Matter (fusion of Diamondhead and Grey Matter)
- Grey Arms (fusion of Grey Matter and Four Arms in the reboot series)