|This article belongs to the Classic Continuity|
The Codon Stream is a liquid database containing the DNA of sapient beings from across the Milky Way Galaxy and beyond, housing a total of 1,000,909 DNA samples. The Codon Stream was created by Azmuth. He used it to link transformations to the prototype Omnitrix and Ultimatrix, rather than store each sample in separate containers like the Unitrix.
The Codon Stream is a system of rivers of "green lava" that are spread throughout Primus. The Codon Stream originated in a volcano, which was actually the processing plant for the DNA of the stream.
Originally, there were thought to be 10,000 DNA samples in the Codon Stream (as hinted in Ben 10,000), but Azmuth has revealed that there are over 1,000,000 samples from every sapient species in the Milky Way Galaxy. When Azmuth unlocked the Master Control for the Omnitrix in War of the Worlds: Part 1, the watch itself stated there were exactly 1,000,903 DNA samples in the Codon Stream at the time.
During Ben's tenure with the original Omnitrix two DNA samples (The Chimera Sui Generis sample taken from Vilgax, and the Conductoid Feedback), were removed from the Codon Stream by various means. The former's DNA sample was eventually replaced, while the Codon Stream was set to reject any further Conductoid samples.
As of Ultimate Alien, there are currently 1,000,909 samples due to the Ultimatrix scanning five aliens from the Andromeda Galaxy, providing Ben with Water Hazard, Terraspin, NRG, Armodrillo, and Ampfibian.
Connection to the Original Omnitrix/Ultimatrix
The Codon Stream is the key to the primary feature of the original Omnitrix and the Ultimatrix in that both were wireless receivers connected to the Codon Stream, allowing them to alter the DNA of their wearer.
When the Omnitrix in question was activated, it opened up a holographic display of all aliens unlocked. When the faceplate was pushed back into place, it emitted a signal that is picked up by the volcano on Primus, then sent throughout the Codon Stream and back to the Omnitrix, with the selected alien's DNA database attached. The selected DNA is then merged with the wearer's DNA, transforming the user into the selected alien.
The connection between the Omnitrix and Ultimatrix and the Codon Stream seems to be remarkably strong, able to traverse dimensions; Ben was able to transform while in the Null Void, outside of the universe in the Forge of Creation, in a parallel universe, and even while trapped in a video game.
Codon is a basic unit of genetic code, consisting of three nucleotides.
- There are no non-sapient species DNA in the Codon Stream.
- Even though all Celestialsapiens are born in the Forge of Creation, some travel to and live in the Milky Way Galaxy, hence why Myaxx was able to obtain Alien X's DNA and sample it into the Codon Stream.[DM 2]
- Because the Ultimate Forms are by-products of originally-existing DNA, they are not found within the Codon Stream because strictly speaking, they do not exist in the universe as a collectable species.[DM 3][DJW 2]
- Unlike the previous models, the current Omnitrix does not rely on the Codon Stream for transformation. Instead, the DNA is stored within itself in a computerized form.[DJW 3]
- The Codon Stream used to contain Conductoid DNA until Feedback was removed by Malware.[DJW 4] As a result Conductoid DNA is one of the two known DNA samples from the Milky Way Galaxy Ben has access to with the new Omnitrix he didn't with the original models, along with the extinct Vladat.
- The Codon Stream was supposedly erased from continuity in Omniverse by the Annihilargh in So Long, and Thanks for All the Smoothies.[DJW 5] According to Derrick J. Wyatt, since one of the Omnitrix's functions is as a storage device, there is no need for a backup.[DJW 6]
- In Alien Force, it was stated that the Codon Stream contained Osmosian DNA.[DM 1] This has been retconned in Omniverse, as Osmosians have been revealed to be a human subspecies and the Omnitrix cannot accept DNA from mutants (including Osmosians) because they do not count as aliens.[DJW 8]
- Despite the Codon Stream containing DNA from across the whole universe, a majority of the samples came from the Milky Way Galaxy, with Ben himself adding five species from the Andromeda Galaxy after he scanned each of them.
- File:Martian DNA Proof.png
- File:Ultimates Are Not Natural Species.PNG
- File:Feedback's DNA Not in Alteration Field.PNG
- File:Derrick Kills Primus.png
- File:Why Derrick Killed Primus.png
- File:OV Retcons Unrelated to Ben Recreating the Universe.png
- File:Omnitrix Cannot Accept Mutant DNA.png