|This article belongs to the Classic Timeline|
Clockwork is a robot-like alien with skin that is made of golden metal, with black stripes and a transparent piece of green glass on his chest, revealing the gears inside of him.
In Ultimate Alien, the piece of glass on his chest was circular.
In Omniverse, 16-year-old Clockwork has a larger body and holes on the key on his somewhat restructured head. The piece of glass on his chest is now in the shape of a hexagon, and there is a black stripe on his back that splits into two stripes with a keyhole between them.
11-year-old Clockwork has a thinner and rounder head, a white and black shirt, a smiley face, and a circular piece of glass similar to his original appearance.
Powers and Abilities
|“||Clockwork. He's got time powers. Speed up, slow down, forward, back.||”|
Clockwork can fire green time rays from his hands or chest, which have various effects like sending people back in time, aging an object/person to dust, restoring individuals who have been erased from time, sending them into a different timeline, and reverting them to a previous state while also immobilizing them.
Clockwork can slow down time around himself, making it look like to others that Clockwork is moving at very high speeds.
Clockwork has a degree of enhanced strength, as he was able to throw a pipe so hard it became heavily embedded into a wall.
Clockwork can rotate his head 360° degrees.[DJW 1]
Clockwork possesses chronopathy, which grants him a fine-tuned sense of precise time and determines the exact time an event has taken or will take place and for how long, as demonstrated by Maltruant.
Because he is a technological being, it is possible for a Galvanic Mechamorph to merge with Clockwork, thus making his time rays stronger and increasing his speed and stamina to superhuman levels. While in this state, Clockwork can jump extremely high, morph his hands into drills, fire rockets out of shoulder-mounted launchers, and sense another Chronosapien's head key.
Clockwork can sense the use of a fellow Chronosapien's powers and undo the resulting effects if needed.
With enough power and skill, Clockwork can perform a temporal consciousness conversion in which a person's consciousness is swapped with that of a younger or older version of the target in question,[DJW 2] much like what Eon did to Ben Prime's 16 and 11-year-old selves.
Clockwork is not very durable, as a laser blast from Carl Nesmith's glove damaged Clockwork's right shoulder and caused him to shut down. When Clockwork reverted to human form in this state, Ben's right arm was broken.
If something hits Clockwork's head key, he can be badly stunned; this shows that Clockwork is not very agile, as he admits that he "is not good for dodging."
Because of his large body and short legs, Clockwork cannot run very fast and is low on stamina, meaning he tires out quickly.
Clockwork's time rays are ineffective against anything diamond-related such as Petrosapiens, due to them being incapable of aging. Similarly, the time rays are ineffective on gumballs because time has no effect on them.
The use of Clockwork's time powers creates a ripple effect in time that can be sensed or reversed by another Chronosapien.
5 Years Prior to Omniverse
- In Ben 10,000 Returns, Clockwork was unlocked by Ben 10,000.
- Clockwork was first used by Ben offscreen prior to Inspector 13.[GT 1]
- In Inspector 13, Gwen turned into Clockwork during a car ride to the Techadon Factory.
- In Catch a Falling Star, Clockwork disarmed Carl Nesmith, but was caught off guard and defeated by Jennifer Nocturne.
- In The Eggman Cometh, Clockwork found out what happened in Natalie's kitchen and realized Dr. Animo was up to no good again.
- In The Beginning of the End, Clockwork found out where the Flame Keepers' Circle had gone.
- In A Jolt from the Past, Clockwork chased some Megawhatts to Fistrick's lair until he grew too tired.
- In Many Happy Returns, Clockwork was defeated by Princess Looma.
- In Ben Again, 11-year-old Ben as 16-year-old Clockwork helped fix the time stream and defeat Eon.
- In Bengeance Is Mine, Clockwork defeated a Squid Monster by slowing down time.
- In And Then There Was Ben, No Watch Ben as Clockwork learned about his abilities from Ben 10,000. Later, No Watch Ben as Clockwork reversed the effects of the Chronosapien Time Bomb and sent Negative Ultimate Echo Echo, Mad Ben, Bad Buzzshock, Benzarro's Frankenstrike, Nega Ben, and Eon back to their respective timelines.
- In It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Ben World: Part 1, Clockwork defeated Mad Diamondhead before having his powers enhanced by Techno-Bubble. He then defeated Exo-Skull and Subdora, but was defeated himself by Maltruant.
- In It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Ben World: Part 2, Clockwork fused with Techno-Bubble again in a failed attempt to leave Mad Ben's home dimension and return to their respective timelines.
- In A New Dawn, Clockwork appeared for a short time as Ben was cycling through his aliens.
Future (Ultimate Alien)
- Clockwork first appeared in Ben 10,000 Returns, where Ultimate Ben used his time rays to send Eon into the past. Later, Ultimate Ben used Clockwork's time rays again in a failed attempt to destroy the Hands of Armageddon with the help of present-day Ben as Way Big.
- Ultimate Ben
- Season 3
- Ben 10,000 Returns (first appearance by Ben 10,000; x2)
- Season 3
- Inspector 13 (first appearance by Gwen)
- Season 3
- 16-year-old Ben
- Season 1
- Season 2
- Season 3
- Ben Again (used by 16-year-old Ben in 11-year-old Ben's body)
- Season 5
- Season 7
- Season 8
- A New Dawn (cameo)
- 11-year-old Ben
- Season 3
- Ben Again (used by 11-year-old Ben in 16-year-old Ben's body)
- No Watch Ben
- Season 5
Naming and Translations
|Bulgarian||Времебоец||From време/vreme, time and боец/boets, warrior|
|Chinese||时钟王||From 时钟 (Shí Zhōng), clock and 王 (Wáng), king|
|Croatian||Vremenski||From vrijeme, time, the time one|
|Dutch||Uurwerk||From uurwerk, clockwork|
|French||Temposaure||From temps, time and -saure, -saur|
|German||Uhrwerk||From uhrwerk, clockwork|
|Hebrew||המכני||From המכני, mechanical|
|Hungarian||Időgép||From időgép, time machine|
|Italian||Raggiotempo||From raggio, ray and tempo, time|
|From mechaniczny, mechanical|
From zegar, clock
|From ampulheta, hourglass|
From contra tempo, contretemps
|Romanian||Ceasornicul||From ceasornic, clock|
|From машина времени, time machine|
From часы, clock
From часовой механизм, clockwork
|Spanish (HA)||Clockwork||From the original English name|
|Spanish (Spain)||Crono||Crono from cronológico, chronological|
|Turkish||Klokvork||From the original English name|
The term "clockwork" refers to a mechanism with a spring and toothed gearwheels, used to drive a mechanical clock and other types of devices; this refers to Clockwork being a mechanical alien with gears and time-based powers.
- Clockwork's appearance when he is fused with Techno-Bubble bears a strong resemblance to the Haywire Clockwork action figure, which has Eatle's Ultimate Alien color scheme.
- Clockwork makes gear sounds when he moves, which is similar to Armodrillo when he moves his arms.
- In Omniverse, Clockwork ticks like a clock for the entirety of his transformation sequence, and there is a sound similar to the tolling of Big Ben that sometimes appears at the end.
- The tolling clock sound also occurs when Clockwork's time rays strike their target or when he is struck on his head key.
- Clockwork speaks with a thick German accent because Germany is known for inventing the watch, a portable timepiece that could tell time no matter wherever someone was in the world.
- Derrick J. Wyatt thinks that 11-year-old Ben kept Clockwork after the events of Ben Again, but Matt Youngberg always said he did not.[DJW 8]
- Clockwork is the only alien used by 11-year-old Ben whose original Omnitrix symbol has a gold outer casing, rather than a silver one like his other aliens.
- Unlike Buzzshock, Spitter, and Arctiguana, Clockwork was first revealed by a different Ben 10,000 from an alternate timeline rather than the original one.
- Regardless, all four of these aliens would later be unlocked by present-day Ben.
- There were no plans to feature Clockwork in the reboot, a fact that upsets Duncan Rouleau.[DR 1]
- And Then There Was Ben
- Ben 10,000 Returns
- Catch a Falling Star
- It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Ben World: Part 1
- Bengeance Is Mine
- The Eggman Cometh
- The Beginning of the End
- The End of an Era
- Ben 10,000 (Ultimate Alien)
- Ben Again
- A Jolt from the Past
- Ultimate Ben
- Professor Paradox
- A New Dawn
- It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Ben World: Part 2
- Ben 10,000
- File:Clockwork Can Rotate His Head.png
- File:Chronosapien Temporal Consciousness Conversion.png
- File:Clockwork Cannot Travel Through Dimensions.png
- File:Chronosapiens Can Be Magnetized.PNG
- File:Pesky Dust Works On Chronosapiens and Ectonurites.png
- File:Juryrigg Dismantle Living Machines.png
- File:Chronosapiens Can Function Without Some Parts.PNG
- File:Young Ben Did Not Keep Clockwork.png
- File:Kevin OV Mutation Prototypes 2.png
- File:Kevin OV Mutation Prototypes 3.png