|This article belongs to the Classic Timeline|
|“||I'm implying that I'm smarter than you because my brain is bigger.||”|
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Weaknesses
- 5 History
- 6 Appearances
- 7 Video Games
- 8 Naming and Translations
- 9 Etymology
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Notes
- 12 References
Ben as Brainstorm
Brainstorm has a light orange crab-like appearance with pincers for hands. He can open his skull plates at will to reveal his huge brain, which is pink in color.
In Heroes United, Brainstorm looked mostly the same except his shell was a more vibrant orange and his skull plates were black.
In Omniverse, Brainstorm has a black loincloth with a green stripe in the center of it on the bottom of his body. He also has a black stripe in the center of his head with a green stripe running across it. He now has four legs instead of six, and each leg has a single joint instead of two, with a black stripe on each one. The hair-like spikes on Brainstorm's face and forehead are now longer, and his eyes connect to a large black strip that extends around his forehead. He also has two spikes on each elbow, and he wears the Omnitrix symbol on a white and green neck brace.
Albedo as Negative Brainstorm
In Omniverse, Negative Brainstorm looks just like Ben's Brainstorm in the same series, except his shell is recolored pale pink, his teeth are recolored yellowish, his eyes and shell stripes are recolored red, and he wears a red Ultimatrix symbol on a red and white neck brace.
Brainstorm usually speaks with very high vocabulary, which can make it difficult for others to understand what he is talking about. He can also come off as arrogant and egotistical due to his intelligence, as according to him, he has skill, not luck.
Powers and Abilities
|“||Their advantage: superior numbers. My advantage: superior intelligence!||”|
– Brainstorm, analyzing The Vengers.
Brainstorm's cranium holds an immense brain, giving him super-massive intelligence, much like Grey Matter. He can solve very difficult calculations mentally in roughly seconds, and knows and can visualize equations and movement of objects as if they're actually there. He can even determine mechanical values and physical properties by simply looking at them.
With his intellect, Brainstorm can perfectly understand the mindsets and mannerisms of his enemies, take advantage of weaknesses, and any useful objects around him, so he can know exactly what moves to make to take down his enemies. His IQ is shown to be 10^30, or one nonillion.
Brainstorm can produce and manipulate electricity[note 1] in a variety of ways, such as electrocuting or launching enemies and disabling or destroying machinery, by opening the exoskeleton plates on his skull. He can also charge up his electrical energy to produce a concentrated beam of electricity strong enough to blast Ship out of the air. Additionally, he can control the voltage of his electrokinetic attacks.
Brainstorm can use his electrokinesis to telekinetically move objects, size and mass ranging from trains to living beings without damaging or hurting them. He can also generate and fire electricity from both his pincers and his brain that can control machinery and other technology, giving him a form of technokinesis.
Brainstorm is very durable thanks to his shell.
Brainstorm seems to have enhanced dexterity, as he can use a golf club very easily despite having pincers.
Brainstorm is very agile and can perform acrobatics such as somersaults and forward rolls.
Brainstorm's shell gives him a protective coat-like layer, which can resist the cold temperatures of places such as mountains.
As mentioned above, Brainstorm tends to be rather arrogant and egotistical, which can make him forget to do simple things, as shown when he was too busy trying to convince an escaped Spidermonkey to return to the Omnitrix that Gwen had to remind him that, being in close proximity, he merely had to reabsorb him.
Even though Brainstorm can breathe underwater, water can short him out.
If Brainstorm's shell is closed when releasing electricity, it will shock and injure his brain, as also demonstrated with Dr. Psychobos.
Unlike Servantis, Brainstorm is unable to tamper with the thoughts and memories of other beings.[DJW 1]
- Brainstorm first appeared in Pier Pressure, where he defeated Ship and protected Julie from him.
- The same scene reoccurred on TV in Fame.
- In What Are Little Girls Made Of?, Brainstorm defeated Kevin in a play-fight.
- In Good Copy, Bad Copy, Brainstorm defeated Negative Big Chill, but was defeated himself by Negative Echo Echo, so he switched into Jetray.
- In Voided, Brainstorm saved Manny from some Null Guardians and battled D'Void before retreating with Manny and Helen. Later, Brainstorm was defeated by D'Void.
- In War of the Worlds: Part 2, Brainstorm piloted Ship in "Battle Mode" to reach Augstaka, during which he and Azmuth had some banter.
- In Vengeance of Vilgax: Part 2, Brainstorm fought and recaptured the escaped Spidermonkey.
- In Inferno, Brainstorm built a pen for some Pyroxovores out of a train and some railway tracks.
- In Singlehanded, Brainstorm battled Sunder before switching into Humungousaur.
- In Video Games, Brainstorm was scanned by Oliver Thompson for the video game offscreen.
- In Escape from Aggregor, Brainstorm took control of a Yeti, told it to attack Dr. Animo, and then freed it before capturing the latter.
- In Fused, Brainstorm was defeated and nearly killed by Aggregor, but was saved by Ra'ad.
- In Eye of the Beholder, Brainstorm defeated Strabismus and freed Baz-l, but accidentally awoke the Sanctuary Guardians in the process.
- In Greetings from Techadon, Brainstorm got a hole in one in golf using his "mental calculations." He then switched into Goop to fight a Techadon robot.
- In The Ultimate Sacrifice, Brainstorm defeated Sentient Ultimate Cannonbolt before switching into Diamondhead.
- In Ben 10/Generator Rex: Heroes United, Brainstorm appeared as one of the many aliens when Ben was explaining his story to Rex.
- In Night of the Living Nightmare, Negative Brainstorm figured out that Ben somehow broke free from the Cassiopeian Dream Eater in a dream.
- In Malefactor, a kid failed to dunk Brainstorm before the latter was successfully dunked by another kid.
- In A Fistful of Brains, Negative Brainstorm briefly fought Astrodactyl until they both reverted.
- In The Vengers, Brainstorm defeated the Vengers.
- In A New Dawn, Brainstorm appeared for a short time when Ben was cycling through his aliens.
- Season 1
- Season 2
- Season 3
- Season 1
- Season 3
- Season 3
- Night of the Living Nightmare (dream)
- Season 2
- Malefactor (first reappearance)
- Season 6
- Season 8
- A New Dawn (cameo)
- Season 4
- Cartoon Network Action Packs
Brainstorm is a playable alien in the game. He can launch energy bolts and create large energy blasts.
Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PlayStation 2, and PlayStation Portable Versions
Due to the Omnitrix rebooting after Ben's abuse of the quick-change feature during his battle with an animated Mr. Smoothy mascot, Brainstorm was temporarily locked until Ben's arrival on Encephalonus IV.
Brainstorm is able to use his vast intellect to interact with computers for a variety of purposes, such as uploading a virus or unlocking a sealed gate. Similar to Chromastone, Brainstorm's unique block animation allows him to redirect focused energy beams to provide power to structures.
Lightning Storm is an unlockable combo move for Brainstorm.
Nintendo DS Version
Brainstorm and Big Chill are reunlocked upon Ben's arrival on Encephalonus IV.
Brainstorm is able to provide power to lifts scattered around Encephalonus IV.
Brainstorm is a playable alien in the game.
Due to the Omnitrix shorting out after Ben fiddled with it, Brainstorm and Swampfire were the only aliens available on Ben's arsenal at the beginning of the game.
Brainstorm is able to power generators, in order to move platforms or to open sealed gates.
Brainstorm's small size allows him to navigate areas that most of Ben's aliens and Ben himself are unable to access.
Naming and Translations
|Albanian||Mendjendrituri, Truri||From mendjendritur, bright minded and trur, brain|
|Arabic||برينستورم||From the original English name|
|Bulgarian||Мозъчен Щурм/Mozŭčen šturm||From мозък/mozŭk, brain and щурм/shturm, rush|
|Chinese||蟹甲智多星||From 蟹甲 (Xiè Jiǎ), crab armor, and 智多星 (Zhì Duō Xīng), sage|
|Croatian||Intelekus||From intelekt, intellect|
|Danish||Hjernestorm||From hjernestorm, brainstorm|
|Dutch||Brainstorm||From the original English name|
|French||Méga-Méninges||From méga, mega and méninges, brain|
|German||Superhirn||From super and hirn, brain|
|Greek||Εγκέφαλος||From εγκέφαλος, brain|
|Hebrew||ראש גדול||From ראש, head and גדול, big|
|Hungarian||Észlény||From ész, mind and lény, being|
|Italian||Cervellotico||From cervellotico, mastermind|
|Korean||브레인스톰||From the original English name|
|Norwegian||Brainstorm||From the original English name|
|Polish||Łebkrab||From łeb, brain and krab, crab|
|Portuguese (Br)||Artrópode||From artrópode, arthropod|
|Romanian||Encefal||from encefal, brain|
|From мудрый, wise and краб, crab|
From краб, crab
|Serbian||Intelektus||From intelekt, intellect|
Brainstorm (The Vengers)
|From cerebrón, big brain|
From the original English name
|Spanish (Spain)||Cerebro||From cerebro, brain|
|Swedish||Hjärnstorm||From hjärn, brain and storm|
|Turkish||Fırtına Beyin||From fırtına, storm and beyin, brain|
Brainstorm's name comes from the word "brainstorm", which means a spontaneous group discussion to create new ideas and solve problems. It references how he always creates new ideas and solves problems with his IQ. It also refers to the electrical powers in his brain, as electricity is usually produced from "storm" clouds.
- Brainstorm had concept art drawn by Eric Canete, whereas his final design was created by Glenn Wong, with color styling by Chris Hooten.[GW 1]
- In Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, Brainstorm originally spoke with a British accent. As of Omniverse, Brainstorm now speaks with an Austrian accent.
- Brainstorm's mouth does not move except to show emotion. He does not speak through his mouth because his thoughts are projected as sound waves.[DJW 3]
- Bandai cards incorrectly state Brainstorm is a cetacean, though he is more based off a crustacean.
- Brainstorm was originally one of two aliens featured in Ultimate Alien who generate yellow electricity; the other being Shocksquatch.
- In Derrick J. Wyatt's opinion, Brainstorm is a brain alien with some minorly electric side powers, hence why he did not appear in Max's Monster alongside the rest of Ben's electric-based aliens.[DJW 4]
- Madison likes Brainstorm better than Rath and refers to him as "the brain crab."
- Brainstorm was considered to appear in the reboot but did not make the cut as an electric alien for Ben because Shock Rock was created for plot purposes.[DR 1]
- Brainstorm's electricity was originally yellow in Alien Force and Ultimate Alien before being recolored green in Omniverse. Meanwhile, alternate versions of Brainstorm are shown generating electricity in different colors. For example, Negative Brainstorm's electricity is colored red.
- War of the Worlds: Part 2
- Some end credits of Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, as well as the story books
- What Are Little Girls Made Of?
- The Vengers
- Vengeance of Vilgax: Part 2
- Greetings from Techadon
- A Fistful of Brains
- Pier Pressure
- Eye of the Beholder
- The Ultimate Sacrifice
- Escape from Aggregor
- Good Copy, Bad Copy
- Showdown: Part 1
- What Are Little Girls Made Of?
- The Frogs of War: Part 2
- Many Happy Returns