|This article belongs to the Classic Timeline|
|Click here to see the Reboot Timeline version of this article|
|“||Thanks to this, I get to walk a mile in other lifeforms' shoes. So, I can totally understand what it's like to be them since... I have been them.||”|
– Ben speaking of the gift that being the bearer of the Omnitrix has bestowed upon him.
Benjamin Kirby "Ben" Tennyson is the main protagonist of the Ben 10 Franchise. He was a normal ten-year-old kid until he found the Omnitrix, a powerful watch-like device that allowed him to turn into ten different aliens. Though initially immature and clumsy, Ben grew to be a true hero. By the time he was sixteen, he had become famous in not only his hometown of Bellwood but on Earth and beyond. Ben has also been deputized by the Plumbers and gained more aliens as time progressed.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 History
- 4 Powers and Abilities
- 5 Weaknesses
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Appearances
- 8 Video Games
- 9 Etymology
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Notes
- 12 References
- 13 See Also
Ben's physical appearance has changed throughout the series from a ten-year-old to a sixteen-year-old. However, he retains some recurring characteristics. He has shaggy brown hair, green eyes, pale skin, and he's quite skinny for his age, though he shows a lot of muscle definition due to being athletic.
In the Omniverse flashbacks in which he was 5 years old, Ben wore green overalls with a white shirt underneath it. White numbers saying "5 1/2" were on a black square in front of his overalls.
In the original series and Omniverse flashbacks, Ben's usual clothes consisted of a black-striped, white shirt with short sleeves, military green cargo pants with side pockets with a black belt hidden under his shirt, and black and white sneakers with black stripes. Ben wore the prototype Omnitrix on his left wrist.
In Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, Ben wore a black shirt, blue jeans and a green jacket with white stripes and the number 10 on it, white socks, and black and white Converse-style shoes. Ben wore the prototype Omnitrix in Alien Force and the Ultimatrix in Ultimate Alien on his left wrist.
In Ultimate Alien, he wore a standard Plumber suit during a few of his off-world excursions.
In Omniverse, Ben wears a black shirt that has a green stripe in the middle with a white 10 and green stripes on the sides of his shirt. He wears brown cargo pants with pockets at the knees with a brown belt hidden under the shirt and green and white shoes. He later gains a white hooded jacket with green stripes on both arms and a green number 10 on the right side for some time. He wears the Omnitrix on his left wrist.
In Omniverse, while riding the Tenn-Speed, he wears a white helmet with the number 10 on it, a green visor, a short-sleeved black T-shirt, long white pants and a belt with the number 10 on it.
In The Krakken, he wore a red diving suit.
In a daydream in The Galactic Enforcers, Ultra Ben looked like Ben with a stereotypical superhero costume in a grey, black and white color scheme.
In A Change of Face, he wore a pilgrim outfit.
In Merry Christmas, while cursed as an elf, he had pointy ears and his eyes were fully green.
In The Unnaturals, he wore a blue baseball shirt with the letter "C" at the front and number 23 at the back, white shorts, blue and yellow socks, blue and white shoes, and a blue baseball helmet. Before the baseball game and after he battled the Squires and Coach Finn, he wore a blue and yellow baseball hat with the letter "C" in the middle.
In a dream in Perfect Day, Ultra Ben wore frame-less blue goggles with horn-like extensions, a cyan shirt and white pants. He also donned a white cape.
In Back with a Vengeance, he wore a yellow raincoat while touring Niagara Falls on a ship.
In Big Fat Alien Wedding, during the wedding ceremony, he wore a purple tuxedo with a red ribbon and white polo shirt.
In Secret of the Omnitrix, he wore light blue pajamas. Later in the movie, he wore a pale blue spacesuit with white stripes on the sleeves and thighs, along with a white helmet with pale blue stripes.
In Ben 10 Returns: Part 1 and War of the Worlds: Part 1, Ben's soccer clothes consisted of the T-shirt he wore as a 10/11 year old but with the number 10 at the back, a long-sleeved green undershirt, green shorts, gray gloves with black stripes, and knee-high socks.
In a flashback in Ben 10 Returns: Part 2, Young Ben wore his T-shirt from the original series and shoes from Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, along with military green shorts, white socks and a bluish grey bicycle helmet.
In Save the Last Dance, he wore a white bicycle helmet.
In Alien Swarm, he briefly wore a dark grey hoodie.
In Video Games, he wore a blue full-body motion capture suit with white balls on it.
In Heroes United, Ben had a slight change in his hairstyle and looked a bit older in Generator Rex's art style.
In Inspector 13, he wore a green T-shirt and black shorts.
In From Hedorium to Eternity, 11-year-old Ben's pajamas consisted of a green T-shirt with a white '10' on it, as well as white shorts.
|“||You think I don't know? When it's hero time, if I mess up, somebody could die. From what you told me, if we mess up this time, everybody could die... Maybe that's too much to have in your head when you have to win. Maybe if I pretend everything is a big joke, when the time comes, I'll be able to do what I have to do.||”|
Initially cocky, childish, and arrogant, Ben's immaturity and attention-seeking behavior often led him to joke around, regardless of the situation. His allies often criticized his attitude, unaware of the fact that he used humor to mask his fears. Despite some childish attitude, he was heroic, caring and generally good-natured, always willing to save others at any time.
Over the years, Ben has displayed good leadership skills, as well as the ability to adapt his attitude to a situation, becoming serious when it's called for. He became more mature, responsible and sensible. He's kind-hearted, willing to sacrifice even his own life for others. His idealistic views and unwillingness to compromise his values – aspects condemned by Azmuth, yet commended by others – sometimes drive him to act against reason, such as helping his enemies if they need it (most remarkably Vilgax). Professor Paradox has praised Ben's good nature, going so far as to say he had the gift to make the right choices at the right moments. Also, Ben doesn't give up and would't let anyone stop him from doing what's right for those in need, especially his family, friends and mentors, or to bring enemies down, even when he once got a broken arm.
However, when Ben fails to save someone, or if someone gets hurt because of his failures, he becomes angry and much more violent. Perhaps the most notable of these instances is when Kevin willingly mutated himself to succeed where Ben had failed and stop Aggregor, Ben was set on killing Kevin, even fighting Gwen when she refused to help him. He also threatened to hunt down and destroy the Forever Knights once making Driscoll promise to cease the hunting of aliens.
Though often stated to be silly or unintelligent because of his immaturity, Ben is cunning and resourceful when needed, quickly adapting when the Omnitrix doesn't provide him with the alien he wanted.
Later on, Ben starts thinking of himself as more of a superhero than a Plumber, often remarking that he's not a cop, but a superhero. Although he once again became cocky, he retained his selfless and heroic nature.
|Ben 10||OV flashbacks||Alien Force||Ultimate Alien||Omniverse|
Click on the images above to see the respective histories.
Powers and Abilities
Ben is a crafty fighter, having trained in hand-to-hand combat by black belt Gwen and Max. He has also received basic Plumber training, having succeeded in the Plumbers' Academy with a 95 out of a 100. On top of that, he has gained practical experience from various years of fighting aliens.
Ben actually uses freestyle fighting, being able to hold his own against Pierce. Max has hinted that Ben was a highly-skilled fighter, even as a human.
It is evident that Ben is smart in some respects, possessing an above-average intelligence. Gwen even stated that he really is not working up to his potential at school. He also has fairly moderate grades, maintaining a B+ average in his toughest subjects Physics and Chemistry.
Ben has an extraordinarily sharp memory, as he was perfectly capable of remembering and writing down the mystic rune-like symbols for entering the inter-dimensional realm of Ledgerdomain with just one glance from a distance. This is even more true for things that interest him.[DM 1]
Ben is a cross dominant, skillfully wielding tools and weapons in either hand, in human or alien form.
Ben is surprisingly a natural at hoverboard-based combat, which generally requires intensive training and the use of holographic simulators.[pop-up 2] This is most likely because he can snowboard.
Ben is a decent musician, as he can play the guitar.
Ben is the wielder of the Omnitrix (formerly the Ultimatrix and first Omnitrix), which gave him the power to modify his own genetic code in order to turn into various alien creatures. Traditionally, he could only transform into ten aliens at the beginning of both the original series and Alien Force, but he later gains additional forms by either unlocking them or by scanning the DNA of aliens he meets.
When transforming into an alien, Ben gets all the creature's features, including its appearance, voice, all of its unique and special abilities and powers, strengths and weaknesses. Though he mostly retains his personality, there are some cases where the transformation causes a change in it, like with Rath and Juryrigg.
Though he usually uses his alien forms to fight, he can impersonate aliens as he did with Water Hazard to convince P'andor to go home, though he was only successful at getting P'andor to believe he was Bivalvan.
In addition to transforming into aliens, the Ultimatrix included what is referred as an "evolutionary function", that allowed Ben to evolve his alien forms in order to get upgraded versions of them, referred to as Ultimate Forms.
In addition to the primary transformations and evolutionary function, the Omnitrices and Ultimatrix can both be used for various purposes. Both have a built-in Universal Translator that allows Ben to communicate with most aliens that do not speak English.
The prototype Omnitrix displayed the ability to manipulate and repair genetic damage, a function he used to cure DNAliens and save the Highbreed from extinction. Azmuth also mentioned that Ben could use the prototype Omnitrix to bring back to life any species stored on Primus.
The Omnitrix also has a failsafe to help prevent Ben from dying. If Ben is in mortal danger and the Omnitrix is in recharge mode, it will automatically go into active mode.
Whenever the Omnitrix times out, Ben is left powerless until he either dodges or switches to a new alien form. In addition to gaining the selected alien's powers and strengths, he gains its weaknesses.
Whenever Ben unlocks a new alien form, he is at a disadvantage of not knowing its abilities and weaknesses until he gains experience with using that alien. While later series will have this weakness downplayed due to differences in Omnitrix features and models, Ben still takes some time to fully master a alien form's potential.
Though he has matured substantially since receiving the original Omnitrix, he is still a teenager with much to learn and is prone to irrational impulses and recklessness.
Despite his experience in using the Omnitrices and Ultimatrix, Ben still does not know every function of them. Due to his inquisitive nature and impatience, he has accidentally unlocked new functions such as the Master Control and the randomizer, which can at times do more harm than good.
Though the current Omnitrix is designed to work only for him, Ben still has not mastered it. According to Azmuth, Ben may get the Master Control on his 18th birthday.
The Omnitrix does not actually mistransform, but rather it is due to Ben hitting the Omnitrix too hard, thereby causing the time-out function to select another alien at random.
Ben appears to have a short attention span at times, and more often than not it can get him into trouble.
Ben has an allergy to peanuts.
Ben's left eye twitches whenever he tells a lie, but only Kevin appears to notice this.
Despite his piloting skills, Kevin is considered to be a better pilot than Ben.[DM 2]
Ben has been in every episode, movie and short except Ken 10 and the "what-if?" episodes, Gwen 10, Goodbye and Good Riddance, and Ben 10: Race Against Time, which feature Bens from alternate timelines. Also whether or not Ben Prime appeared in reboot episode Alien X-Tinction is open to interpretation. Here's a list of all his appearances throughout the series.
- Ben 10/Episodes
- Ben 10: Alien Force/Episodes
- Ben 10: Ultimate Alien/Episodes
- Ben 10: Omniverse/Episodes
- Alien X-Tinction
In Other Media
Ben appeared briefly in a snippet of, Mad. They were doing a Star Trek parody and the crew was watching Ben 10 on their screen.
They later did a Cowboys and Aliens parody. In Cowboys and Alien Force, Jedediah Benjamin Tennyson wakes up on the left side of Jake Lonergan saying he has no pants and gets punched by Jake. A cowboy said that Jake was wearing Ben's pants, his hat, and his Omnitrix. Jake presses the Omnitrix, turning into an alien similar to Diamondhead or Chromastone and he crushed the cowboy with its hand. The Omnitrix in this episode is more like a square and does not have the black and green color sequence.
In the South Park episode "You're Getting Old," Cartman's Mom mentioned that Cartman gets upset when he doesn't get a present every time someone else gets a present at a party. One of the presents Cartman gets is a "Ben 10 Wrist Rocket."
Ben made an appearance in the fifth episode of the sixth season of Robot Chicken, Hurtled from a Helicopter into a Speeding Train, where Ben is just turning 14.
Ben, among other Cartoon Network characters, made a cameo watching an awards show hosted by Uncle Grandpa. Omniverse Ben, who did not speak, was annoyed by a lame joke that Uncle Grandpa made.
While Ben is sleeping at the Grand Canyon, Vilgax extracts DNA of the Omnitrix. Ben travels around the United States to retrieve all parts of the Omnitrix.
Ultra Ben is a playable character through a cheat.
Ben confronts a new villain, Evil Way Big. To defeat him, Ben looks for parts of the Potis Altiare's located in places around the world. In The Final Battle with Evil Way Big, Ben puts the Potis Altiare together and uses it as Way Big. Later during the Battle, Way Big uses a very powerful cosmic ray and sends Evil Way Big to space.
Punch Time Explosion
Ben hunts down Vilgax, the latter conquers Chowder's Universe. Ben later teams up with other Cartoon Network characters to hunt down Vilgax throughout other universes. He is the first usable character.
- Swampfire (standard attack)
- Big Chill (up/extra jump attack)
- Ampfibian (down attack)
- Humungousaur (side attack)
- Ultimate Humungousaur (Punch Time Explosion)
Punch Time Explosion XL
Young Ben doesn't appear in the storyline but is also playable. He costs 1500, which is more than the average character, making him rarer. Ultra Ben is an unlockable costume.
- Heatblast (up/extra jump attack)
- XLR8 (side attack)
- Cannonbolt (down attack)
- Wildvine (standard attack)
- Four Arms (Punch Time Explosion)
Cartoon Network Online Games
In the Ben 10 DLC expansion pack, Minecraft skins based off Ben's Original Series, Alien Force, and Omniverse designs are available.
Benjamin is a name from the Hebrew name בִּנְיָמִין (Binyamin) which means "son of the south" or "son of the right hand" going back into the Tanakh (called the Hebrew Bible by Christian scholars), a name of one of the sons of Jacob. His name, "Ben," is to create a rhyming effect between his first name and the number Ten. Also, his surname is a reference to 'Ten' of Ben 10.
- Ben will have a glorious future. Azmuth even said that Professor Paradox once told him of Ben's "grand destiny" and that Ben would be "the legendary being who..." before Paradox cut him short.
- Ben's history now has to be read at the Plumbers' Academy. It comprises approximately a "chapter and a half."
- Gwen's birthday is in December, which would put Ben's in December too, as they both share the same birthday. Their rivalry in the original series was caused by this.[pop-up 4]
- Ben has received an honorary doctorate degree from Friedkin University.
- Ben does not have good table manners.
- Ben used to shout the names of his aliens because they were asserting their identity as they gained consciousness,[DM 3] as well as to strike fear into his opponents. He stopped doing so, and changed his outfit, in Omniverse because he got tired of it.[MW 2]
- In Alien Force, Ben was in his freshman year of high school.[DM 5]
- Ben considers both Rook and Kevin his best friend.[MW 5]
- Ben still owns several black T-shirts.[MW 6]
- Ben sometimes goes to Undertown just to hang out.[MW 7]
- Ben sometimes thinks about moving to an apartment or Plumber Headquarters due to the trouble he brings to his home.[MW 7]
- Ben knows some things about the original Ultimatrix that Eunice doesn't, and vice versa.[MW 8]
- Ben passed the third grade by choosing C for all the answers on multiple-choice tests.
- Ben's favorite color is green and his favorite food is Chili Fries.
- Ben's favorite drink as a teenager is smoothies from Mr. Smoothy's, despite hating it when he was 11 years old.
- Ben's first crush was Patty Berkinfield from 3rd grade.
- Ben has a scar on his body in the shape of New Jersey.
- Ben hates mushrooms, though this may have been a consequence of his ordeal with the Living Mushrooms.
- Ben owns a Tetramand flag in his bedroom.[DJW 2]
- Ben has a habit of referring to other members of his aliens' species by the names he gives his aliens because he does not know the names of most of his aliens' species.
- When Ben was 10, he used to sleep with his teddy bear, called Furry Freddy. However, Ben defended himself saying that Furry Freddy had his own bed, which happened to be right next to his.
- According to both Azmuth and Sir George, Ben is the same as they were when they were young.
- Before the events of the original series:
- During the road trip in the original series:
- Sumo Slammers is Ben's favorite game, book, and TV show, followed by Space Pirates.[pop-up 9]
- When he was younger, Ben's high energy often got him into trouble. As he got older, he learned to focus that energy into sports.[pop-up 10]
- Ben has a lot of pull with the Plumbers.[DM 8]
- Ben has other friends than the ones seen onscreen, but his coming out of retirement in Alien Force pushed them away.[DM 9]
- Ben misses the good old days when he used to hang out with Gwen and Kevin without being mobbed by fans,[DM 10] so much that he secretly hates being famous and wishes he had his secret identity back.
- Ben has not thought about his career plan at all.[DM 11]
- The reason Ben plays soccer as a goalie is because Dwayne McDuffie used to play competitive soccer as an All-State Goalie in school.[CF 1]
- Ben still plays soccer when he can.[DM 12]
- Many voice actors auditioned to voice Ben in Alien Force. Yuri Lowenthal was called back multiple times before landing the role.[YL 1]
- The loss of Feedback, who was Ben's favorite alien at the time, was supposed to be the reason Ben took off the original Omnitrix and retired from being a hero,[MW 9][DJW 3] but it was ultimately Cartoon Network executives who vetoed the idea, which many crew members were thankful for.[DJW 4]
- Prior to Omniverse, the five-year gap between the original series and Alien Force was discussed and various possibilities were kicked around, everything from "Wow, what if there's something huge and cool that happened there" to "Maybe absolutely nothing interesting happened there".[ES 1]
- Derrick J. Wyatt compares Ben to Scott Pilgrim.[DJW 5]
- As of Omniverse, Ben's shoe size is 10.
- Initial concepts for Ben's Alien Force and Ultimate Alien design were made by Glen Murakami. His head and hair were reworked by Glenn Wong, who also gave him his green jacket, while colors were added by Chris Hooten.[GW 1]
- Duncan Rouleau claims that the four alternate Bens featured in Alien X-Tinction are the same as the Ben Prime from the previous four series.[DR 1] However, there are subtle differences between the Bens compared to their Classic counterparts, such as Ultimate Alien Ben wearing his Ultimatrix backwards. While this is likely an error, it is never stated whether or not Maximillian or Alien Force Ben's device can travel through time. As such it is open to interpretation as to whether or not they are Ben Prime. This wiki however, considers them separate characters who are based on the Bens from the series they represent.
- Manny Tennyson was mentioned in Gwen 10, a non-canon episode. It is unknown if he exists in the canon timeline.
- In Ultimate Alien, Ben's coulrophobia came from being scared by a clown at the circus when he was four. This was changed in Omniverse, as Ben's coulrophobia came from seeing Max in clown make-up when he was five.
- Merry Christmas
- Rook Tales
- Under Wraps
- Mystery, Incorporeal
- Basic Training
- Alone Together
- The Forge of Creation
- Ghost Town
- Catch a Falling Star
- Absolute Power: Part 1
- The Purge
- The More Things Change: Part 2
- Above and Beyond
- Where the Magic Happens
- Ben 10: Secret of the Omnitrix
- Monster Weather
- Too Hot to Handle
- Escape from Aggregor
- Max Out
- War of the Worlds: Part 2
- Back with a Vengeance
- The Frogs of War: Part 1
- The Ultimate Enemy: Part 2
- For a Few Brains More
- Save the Last Dance
- Charmed, I'm Sure
- Side Effects
- The Secret of Chromastone
- Blukic and Driba Go to Mr. Smoothy's
- Last Laugh
- Something Zombozo This Way Comes
- The Ultimate Sacrifice
- Arrested Development
- Rook Blonko
- Showdown: Part 1
- Under Wraps
- Be Afraid of the Dark
- Good Copy, Bad Copy
- Animo Crackers
- And Then There Were None
- And Then There Was Ben
- The End of an Era
- Professor Paradox
- The More Things Change: Part 1
- The Ultimate Heist
- And Then There Were 10
- Natalie Tennyson
- It's Not Easy Being Gwen
- Prisoner Number 775 Is Missing
- Kevin Levin
- Perfect Day
- A Jolt from the Past
- Ben Again
- Camp Fear
- Have I Got a Deal for You
- Gwen Tennyson
- A Change of Face
- Solitary Alignment
- Ben 10 vs. the Negative 10: Part 1
- Ultimate Weapon
- Game Over
- Ben 10 Returns: Part 1
- Absolute Power: Part 2
- Rad Monster Party
- File:Ben Has Excellent Memory.PNG
- File:P'andor Imprisoned.PNG
- File:Kevin's Original Car.PNG
- File:Ben Shouting Out Alien Names.PNG
- File:Ben and Gwen Freshmen.PNG
- File:Ben UA Bad Attendance Record.png
- File:Omnitrix Remote Recalibration.PNG
- File:Ben Has A Lot of Pull With The Plumbers.PNG
- File:Ben Has Other Friends.PNG
- File:Ben Misses the Good Old Days.PNG
- File:Ben and Gwen's Career Plans.PNG
- File:Ben Still Plays Soccer.PNG
- File:Ben's Birthday.png
- File:Ben Got Tired of Shouting His Aliens' Names.png
- File:Ben Still Goes to School in OV.png
- File:Ben Still Goes to School in OV 2.png
- File:Celestialsapiens Can Die.png
- File:Ben Still Has Several Black T-Shirts.png
- File:Ben Goes to Undertown to Hang Out.png
- File:Eunice Knows Things About the Ultimatrix.PNG
- File:Reason For Ben Removing the Omnitrix.png
Cartoon Network U.K.
- Ben Tennyson and Julie Yamamoto
- Ben Tennyson and Kai Green
- Ben's Team
- DX Mark 10
|Ben Tennyson (Classic) • Ben Tennyson (Reboot)|
|Ben 10,000 (Original Series and Omniverse) • Ben 10,000 (Ultimate Alien) • Ben 10,000 (Reboot)|
|Ben Tennyson (Race Against Time) • Eon • Eon's Servants|
Ben 23 • Bad Ben • Benzarro • Nega Ben • No Watch Ben • Mad Ben
Alien Force Ben • Ultimate Alien Ben • Original Series Ben • Omniverse Ben
Ben Tennyson (Maximilian's Dimension) • Evil Ben
|Ben Tennyson (Gwen 10) • Ben Tennyson (Goodbye and Good Riddance)|