|This article belongs to the Reboot Continuity|
Ben 10 Versus the Universe: The Movie is a Ben 10 movie that aired on Cartoon Network on October 10, 2020, was digitally released the next day and serves as the one-hundred sixty-seven to one-hundred seventy-second episodes of the series. It was later released on DVD on October 27.
When a blast from Ben's past - Vilgax - returns to do double the damage on Team Tennyson and planet Earth itself, Ben must go interstellar to save the day while Gwen and Grandpa Max team-up with Kevin to protect the world in Ben's absence, but when our boy hero is confused for the villain in space, Ben is forced to defend himself in the trial of a century!
After foiling Steam Smythe's plan to destroy a telephone industry as Heatblast, Ben feels like everything he does is getting repetitive and feels like there's no one left to give him a challenge. When Gwen and Grandpa Max start encouraging Ben to not let his guard down when there are new threats coming, they suddenly get a call from Phil and they quickly travel to his house.
After getting to his house and entering his secret lab in his garage, Phil shows them a meteor heading towards Earth and threatening to destroy all life on the planet. Left with no other options, Ben decides to destroy the meteor with one of his aliens but before he could do that, Phil tells Ben that the key that was used to unlock the Omni-Kix Armors was actually in reverse and turning it into its proper lock could unlock the other secret upgrades of the Omnitrix. After putting the key back in its proper space with the Omnitrix and doing a couple of space tests using Four Arms, Ben is ready to fly into space and crush that meteor. At the road Ben turns into Jetray before twisting his Omnitrix, becoming Omni-Kix Jetray. When the Omnitrix starts beeping (which Omni-Kix Jetray points out has never happened before), Phil suggests he turns the Omnitrix a second time. Omni-Kix Jetray then transforms into Omni-Naut Jetray.
After successfully using the Omni-Naut Armor, Omni-Naut Jetray flies into outer space while Gwen, Grandpa Max and Phil monitor Ben while also feeling worried sick as he tries to stop the meteor. However, Omni-Naut Jetray ends up flying into a portal against his will while the meteor continues heading towards Earth. As the Tennysons and Phil moan over Ben's disappearance, the meteor suddenly disappears. At the impact site, the meteor is revealed to be a pod and out of its opening door comes Vilgax. After exiting the portal, Omni-Naut Jetray finds himself stranded in space. When the Omnitrix times out, it gives Ben a space suit to help him survive in the depths of space. He is then abducted by a team of Incurseans lead by Major Glorff, who think he is Vilgax. Ben tries to escape the Incurseans using Humungousaur, but resorts to turning into Omni-Naut Humungousaur. When he times just as he is about to burst his way out of the Incurseans' ship, they arrest Ben before teleporting their ship way to have Ben face justice against the entire universe.
Meanwhile on Earth, the Tennysons and Phil tries to find Ben but instead they find Kevin, who is hiding in a cave because his Omnitrix (which he refers to as the Antitrix) is malfunctioning just like Ben's Omnitrix did. When Gwen and Max convince him they could help him with the Antitrix, Kevin agrees. Elsewhere, the police hear about a jaywalker in a nearby city which is later revealed to be Vilgax who is looking for something that belongs to him and destroying anything that gets in his way.
Back in space, Ben tries to convince everyone in the court including Milleous that he is not Vilgax to no avail. Tetrax is summoned to the Incurseans' mothership and uses footage of Gax as evidence Ben is Vilgax in disguise. After a failed attempt at escaping the court as Slapback, Ben is banished to the Null Void, where he encounters an Opticoid aware of both him and the Omnitrix, who reveals that Vilgax escaped the Null Void to exact his revenge against Ben. Battling the Opticoid and other assorted inmates (consisting of a Vulpimancer, a Loboan, an Ectonurite, and a Piscciss Volann) using Diamondhead, Cannonbolt, and Four Arms, the inmates are only stopped by Azmuth. After Azmuth defeats both Four Arms and Omni-Naut Heatblast, he telepathically removes the Omnitrix from Ben's wrist. Azmuth accidentally spills his history with Vilgax and begrudgingly tells his story to Ben:
When he was a young inventor, Azmuth did not care about the consequences he made. During this period, he secretly made the Omnitrix as a way of allowing the user to feel what it's like to be in another species' shoes, using it as a symbol for peace around the universe. He later met a young Chimeran named Vilgax, who wanted to learn more about his work. Azmuth decided to teach him as an apprentice while also learning the possibilities of science. But Vilgax became power hungry and wanted to use the Omnitrix's power to control the universe.
In desperation, Azmuth used the watch's power to trap half of Vilgax's DNA to save the universe but was exiled to the Null Void for his unintentional involvement in Vilgax's reign of terror. After finishing his story, Ben tries to convince Azmuth to give him his watch back so he can save his planet but the old Galvan still refuses to do so until Ben tells him he is willing to rescue his planet even without the Omnitrix. This speech makes Azmuth slightly interested and agrees to give it back to him as long as he pass one trial first, which Ben accepts.
Meanwhile on Earth, Kevin defeats Solar and Polar Twain using Dark Matter is prevented from killing the Twain brother when Gwen intervenes. Vilgax then arrives, with Kevin remembering him from the dream that inspired him to create the Antitrix. Vilgax reveals he manipulated Kevin into making the device and demands Kevin to give him the Antitrix, but he refuses and fights him as Quad Smack before switching into Bashmouth when that does not work out.
Meanwhile in the Null Void, Azmuth reveals his trial to Ben: he must get past through an area with traps before the timer on his Omnitrix times up. Ben goes through all of his aliens but none of them work. Confused on what to do, Azmuth gives Ben a hint: the reason he cannot pass the test is because he is letting the Omnitrix dictate his actions. The Ectonurite and Piscciss Volann prisoners from before suddenly ambush Ben and he battles them as Rath. When a portal suddenly opens up, the Ectonurite flees, abandoning the Piscciss Volann to his fate. Ben then understands Azmuth's clue before pulling the Omnitrix dial up and inserting a code that allows him to turn into a Polymorph named Goop. Goop swoops in to rescue the Piscciss Volann and uses his Anti-Gravity Projector to increased its gravitational pull, pulling both of them away from the portal. Goop then tries to reach the end of the tunnel with the Piscciss Volann in tow only to time out and change back into Ben.
Ben laments that he was unable to pass the trial and cannot save his family without the Omnitrix. To his surprise, Azmuth proves him otherwise as he saw that Ben put himself on the line to save the Piscciss Volann. This act of heroism has convinced Azmuth to allow Ben to continue using the Omnitrix a little longer. Azmuth activates a device that spawns a portal and instructs Ben to supercharge the Galvan-sized portal. Ben turns into Shock Rock and then into Omni-Naut Shock Rock to supercharge the portal before asking Azmuth why he did not use his device to escape the Null Void. Answering that he deserved to be exiled after everything he has done, Azmuth was moved by Omni-Naut Shock Rock when he says that some people can change before leaving. Escaping the Null Void, Omni-Naut Shock Rock sees the Incurseans' ship at the mercy of a huge Null Void portal. By witnessing Omni-Naut Shock Rock save their lives, the Incurseans discover that Tetrax had lied to them about Ben being Vilgax but find him missing. Omni-Naut Shock Rock passes out after saving the ship.
Back on Earth, Kevin seems to be winning as Bootleg but later loses his watch to Vilgax. With the Antitrix in his possession, Vilgax uses it to become AntiVilgax, a hybrid of himself and all of Kevin's aliens. As the Tennysons, Kevin, and Phil tries to escape, they are later stopped by AntiVilgax, who attempts to kill them. Kevin tries to use Glitch to stop him only for his Rustbuggy form to be destroyed. Glitch turns into a battle suit and merges with Kevin to continue fighting AntiVilgax. Growing tired of the setbacks, AntiVilgax uses his Galvanic Mechamorph powers to terraform Earth.
Awakening aboard the Incusrean ship, Ben accepts Milleous' apology and requests the Incurseans' help in returning to Earth. When Major Glorff brings news of Tetrax's escape, Ben searches the ship using XLR8 to no avail. Ben eventually overhears Tetrax interacting with his client and finds him preparing to leave for Petropia via an escape pod. Ben ultimately defeats Tetrax as Diamondhead and questions why he lied in galactic court. When Tetrax answers that he was hired by Azmuth to bring Ben to the Null Void so he could reclaim the Omnitrix, Diamondhead willingly lets him leave the Incursean ship. Telling Milleous that Tetrax escaped, Ben prepares to be sent to Earth only for an asteroid belt to complicate matters. After saving the Incurseans, Omni-Naut Heatblast flies into the Incurseans' portal with the intentions of bringing Vilgax to justice.
After arriving on Earth, Ben is warmly greeted by Gwen but is left confused at the sight of Kevin wearing Glitch as an armor and AntiVilgax. Turning into Four Arms and then Omni-Kix Four Arms, Ben joins Kevin and Glitch in fighting AntiVilgax, who manages to defeat all of them and take the Omnitrix Key from Ben. Reverting to normal, Vilgax prepares to insert the Omnitrix Key into the Antitrix when Kevin manages to reclaim both devices. Unfortunately, he did so a bit too late, as Vilgax has managed to mutate himself with Celestialsapien DNA and assumed a form known as Alien V.
Shortly after terraforming Earth again, Alien V is attacked by Kevin as Bashmouth who then switches into Crystalfist. Crystalfist is spared from falling to his death by Omni-Naut Humungousaur, and the pair combine their attacks towards Alien V to no avail. Crystalfist is knocked over the horizon while Omni-Naut Humungousaur is downed when his jetpack takes damage. With even Phil unsure of what to do, Azmuth contacts Ben and reminds him of his training from the Null Void. Ben requests a little room for his next move. In Earth's orbit, Milleous commends Azmuth for his earlier help in repairing the Incursean ship but is yet appalled at the sight of a planet so far gone. Azmuth, however, thinks things will be different compared to Vilgax's previous reign of terror.
Once Gwen, Max, and Phil gets as far away from Ben, Ben pulls the Omnitrix dial up and inserts a code that allows him to transform into a To'kustar named Way Big. Way Big then heads off to fight Alien V, discovering his red metallic armor can deflect Alien V's optic lasers and that he can fire green cosmic rays by crossing his arms in an "X" shape. In the end of the battle, Way Big is able to finally knock out Alien V using a well-aimed cosmic ray before reverting. Azmuth takes the Omnitrix from Ben so he can use it remove the Celestialsapien DNA from Alien V, turning him back into Vilgax, before returning the device to Ben. Once Azmuth boards the Incursean ship, Vilgax is pulled up by a tractor beam and taken to galactic custody. Ben and Gwen look for Kevin, though he has vanished during the fight and Gwen thinks that he will show up again eventually. Once the cousins board the Rustbucket, Phil states that he can rebuild Glitch from the destroyed armor before Team Tennyson drives off to Nebraska.
- Ben acquires the Omni-Naut Armors and journeys into space, encountering various aliens he has never seen before.
- Vilgax escapes the Null Void and uses his Antitrix and the Omnitrix Key to enhance himself to cosmic levels. However, he is eventually arrested and taken into galactic custody.
- Ben goes to the Null Void, meets Azmuth, and learns of both the Omnitrix's origins and Vilgax's connections to it.
- Glitch is destroyed by Vilgax, though Phil recovers his remains with the intention of rebuilding him.
- Azmuth shows Ben how to get access to every single alien transformation in the Omnitrix so far, except Upgrade and Gax due to them being destroyed and removed during the events of Omni-Tricked.
- It is revealed that Vilgax was the one who sent Kevin the blueprints to create the Antitrix between Innervasion Part 5: High Override and This One Goes to 11.
- It is revealed that Ben inserted the Omnitrix Key the wrong way during Summer Breakers.
- Kevin interacts with Vilgax face-to-face, and wears a Combat Suit that Glitch originally prepared for Ben.
- Ben learns the species names for Humungousaur (Vaxasaurian) from Major Glorff; Diamondhead (Petrosapien) from Milleous; the Ectonurite Prisoner (Ectonurite) from Azmuth; and Grey Matter (Galvan) from Tetrax.
- Similarly, Kevin learns the species name for Glitch (Galvanic Mechamorph) from Vilgax.
- Kevin interacts with Solar and Polar Twain for the first time.
- Azmuth is revealed to be Tetrax's employer, having hired the latter to lure Ben into the Null Void to reclaim the Omnitrix.
- Azmuth (series proper)
- Ectonurite Prisoner
- Opticoid Prisoner
- Piscciss Volann Prisoner
- Loboan Prisoner
- Vulpimancer Prisoner
- Crooked-Legged Spider-like Species
- One-Sided Grey-like Species
Omnitrix Alien Debuts
- Omni-Kix Jetray
- Omni-Naut Jetray
- Omni-Naut Humungousaur
- Omni-Naut Heatblast
- Omni-Naut Shock Rock
- Way Big
Antitrix Alien Debuts
- Ben Tennyson
- Gwen Tennyson
- Max Tennyson
- Phil Billings
- Kevin Levin
- Ickthyperambuloids (first appearance)
- Crooked-Legged Spider-like Species (first appearance)
- One-Sided Grey-like Species (first appearance)
- Incurseans (first appearance)
- Tetrax Shard
- Piscciss Volann Prisoner (first appearance)
- Ectonurite Prisoner (first appearance)
- Opticoid Prisoner (first appearance)
- Loboan Prisoner (first appearance)
- Vulpimancer Prisoner (first appearance)
- Steam Smythe
- Solar Twain
- Polar Twain
- Dr. Animo (cameo; fights with Four Arms)
- Zombozo (cameo; fights with Heatblast)
- LaGrange (cameo; fights with XLR8)
- Lord Decibel (cameo; fights with Diamondhead)
- Billy Billions (cameo; fights with Cannonbolt)
- Kraab (cameo; fights with Shock Rock)
- Sydney (cameo; fights with Slapback)
- Tim Buktu (cameo; fights with Rath)
- The Clocktopus (cameo; fights with Humungousaur)
- Hex (cameo; fights with Jetray)
- Heatblast (x3; second time goes Omni-Kix; third time goes Omni-Naut)
- Cannonbolt (x2; first time daydream)
- Four Arms (x3; third time goes Omni-Kix)
- Jetray (x2; first time goes Omni-Kix)
- Humungousaur (x3; goes Omni-Naut)
- Omni-Naut Humungousaur (x3; first appearance)
- Gax (video footage)
- Diamondhead (x2; first time cameo)
- Rath (x2)
- Goop (first appearance)
- Shock Rock (goes Omni-Naut)
- Omni-Naut Shock Rock (first appearance)
- Way Big (first appearance)
- Wreckingbolt (x3; cameo)
- Hot Shot (x2; cameo)
- Rush (x2; cameo)
- Dark Matter (x2; first time cameo)
- Bashmouth (x4; 2 times are cameos)
- Thornblade (cameo)
- Undertow (x2; cameo)
- Quad Smack
- Bootleg (off-screen transformation)
Naming and Translations
|Polish||Ben 10 Kontra Wszechświat: Film||Ben 10 Versus the Universe: The Movie|
|Russian||Бен 10 Против Вселенной: Фильм||Ben 10 Against the Universe: The Movie|
|Spanish (HA)||Ben 10 Contra El Universo: La Película||Ben 10 vs. The Universe: The Movie|
|Turkish||Ben 10 Evrene Karışı||Ben 10 vs. Universe|
- Little Guy & the Universal Expanse (heard when Azmuth explained his origin story and Omni-Naut Shock Rock transformation)
- K & V Face Off (played after Glitch threw Kevin out of the Rustbucket, and when Glitch gave Kevin armor. Later heard towards the end when Kevin goes to get his Antitrix back)
- A New Alien is Born (Way Big transformation music)
- Taking Down the Villain (heard briefly before Way Big defeats Alien V)
Click here for the transcript of Ben 10 Versus the Universe: The Movie.
- During Omni-Naut Heatblast's transformation sequence, the titular alien does not actually appear in the transformation.
- When Ben pick Jetray, Omnitrix's tubes is glowing, but in next scene when Ben says ,,Alright!" tubes stop glowing.
- While Omni-Naut Jetray is flying through space and wondering if he can turn back time, his tail briefly disappears.
- When Ben transforms into Humungousaur, his Omnitrix is with its season 3 version instead of its current, making the transformation sequence look like taken from Don't Touch.
- When the Vulpimancer pounced at Jetray, for a split second Jetray's stripe colors swapped.
- The Opticoid Prisoner's shadow is seen moving his head to the Ectonurite Prisoner's voice lines instead of the Ectonurite Prisoner himself.
- In one scene, When Azmuth clicks on the Omnitrix symbol to revert Four Arms to Ben, the Omnitrix is green, but in the next scene, it’s red.
- In one scene, The orange on Omni-Naut Humungousaur's face is missing.
- During Azmuth's flashback, in the scene where he is facing Vilgax, he had green eyes, but in the last panel, he had orange eyes.
- When AntiVilgax removes the Omnitrix Key, the Omnitrix dial resembles its depiction in season 3.
- Glitch calls refers to his species as "Galvan Mechamorph" instead of "Galvanic Mechamorph".
- In flashback, when Azmuth is removing Vilgax's DNA & putting it into the Omnitrix, it has It's Season 2 Apperance.
- When Ben as Omni-Naut Heatblast Lands on Earth and detransform, Omnitrix is still green.
- In all transformation sequences in space and in the Null Void, Ben has his normal outfit instead of his Omni-Naut Suit.
- When Ben opens the Shortcut feature of the Omnitrix, the tubes weren't glowing green but in the next sence, it starts glowing green.
- During Way Big's Transformation Sequence, Ben did not have the Omnitrix.
- During the credits, the Null Void prisoners are credited by the names of Classic aliens they are either modelled after or share the same species as:
- The events of Summer Breakers and Omni-Tricked are mentioned.
- When the Opticiod Prisoner tells Ben about Vilgax going to Earth and taking revenge, Ben remembers And say to himself ‘He was sucked in here!”, Which refers the events of Innervasion Part 4: Mind Over Alien Problem.
- The title of the movie is similar to that of the Omniverse episode Universe vs. Tennyson. The subplot of Ben being in a universal trial is also similar to the plot of the episode.
- When Ben tranforms into Omni-Kix Jetray, Phil says the phrase "noice" which is a possible reference to the meme of Michael Rosen eating something.
- This movie shares many similarities with Ben 10: Secret of the Omnitrix:
- Both movies have Ben going into space, meeting Azmuth for the first time, and battling Vilgax using Way Big.
- Both movies are released during the fourth season of their respective shows, and feature Vilgax returning after being imprisoned in the Null Void at the end of the second season.
- In the beginning, both movies have Gwen and Grandpa Max was captured by villains in the respective movies.
- Both of the movie have the same artstyle of their respective shows.
- Vilgax being Azmuth's former assistant is similar to how Azmuth in the Classic Continuity has a Chimera Sui Generis for an assistant.
- Both of these revelations were revealed in their respective first movies.
- The Incursean Ship is modeled after the Edge of the Galaxy Incarcecon introduced in Secret of the Omnitrix.
- When the Opticoid Prisoner warns the Ectonurite Prisoner that attempting to possess the Omnitrix will result in him being trapped inside it, it is a nod to how Zs'Skayr from the Classic Continuity was trapped inside the original Omnitrix until Ghostfreaked Out.
- The camera angle used when Ben receives the Omnitrix in the Null Void is a homage to Ben receiving the Omnitrix in the first episode of the original series.
- Ben calls the Ectonurite Prisoner "Grossfreak", a similarly-sounding name to Ghostfreak.
- The Antitrix constantly turning Kevin into different aliens due to Vilgax tracking its energy signal is similar to the events in Omni-Tricked: Part 3.
- Additionally, when Vilgax removes the Antitrix from Kevin as Bootleg, forcing the latter back into human form, the animation is similar to how Vilgax removed Gax from the Omnitrix in the same episode.
- Milleous breaks the fourth wall by stating "One way or another, we'll find him. If not now, then perhaps in the next reboot", followed by a wink.
- Vilgax's quote "It's only fitting you witness the unleashing of the ultimate alien!" is a reference to Ben 10: Ultimate Alien.
- The Omnitrix Key unlocking Celestialsapien DNA in the Antitrix is a reference to the Ultimatrix Security Keys unlocking Alien X in the Ultimatrix.[DR 1]
- The lightning that appears behind Way Big is a reference to his Classic counterpart's Alien Force debut in the episode War of the Worlds: Part 1.
- Way Big's fight with Alien V resembles the climax of Primus due to Alien V resembling a giant version of Vilgax.
- Azmuth talking to Ben about sacrifice somewhat mirrors what his Classic counterpart said in The Ultimate Sacrifice.
- In Azmuth's flashback, Vilgax was seen with a mouth respirator over his mouth, similar to his Classic counterpart after being mortally wounded.
- AntiVilgax is seen with a similar mouth respirator.
- This is the first movie to both be set in the Reboot Timeline and implement all of Ben's current accessible aliens.
- This movie is the Season 4 finale of the Reboot, even though it was marketed separately from the series. It also includes the 400th episode of the franchise.
- The movie premiered in Spain on October 1, 2020, by Movistar+. It was later aired on television on October 10th at 10 AM in mostly every country; the premiere date is a play on the number 10, which is part of the series title.
- A completely new intro was made for the movie, which shown all 10 of Ben's aliens fighting Dr. Animo, Zombozo, LaGrange, Lord Decibel, Billy Billions, Kraab, Sydney, Tim Buktu, the Clocktopus, and Hex.
- When Omni-Naut Jetray exits the wormhole, he passes a planet that appears to be Petropia. Similarly, when the Incursean Ship first appears, a planet resembling Cascareau is seen in the background.
- The spider-like species with the "crocked" legs and the "one-sided" Grey-like species that appear during Ben's trial are new species created for the film.[DR 2]
- While AntiVilgax was chasing the Rustbucket, they pass by a sign that says "NOW ENTERING (TOWN WHERE PHIL LIVES)".
- One of the code names during the movie's production was "The Trial of Ben 10".
- Ben 10 Versus the Universe was first announced on February 19, 2020 on Cartoon Network's Twitter page.[CN 1]
- Similar to other recent Cartoon Network original movies beginning with We Bare Bears: The Movie, this movie had limited commercials during its premiere.
- Duncan Rouleau previously confirmed that Vilgax would return for Season 4 on October 26, 2019,[DR 3] several months before the movie was officially announced.
- Duncan also confirmed that Glitch would appear in the film on August 22, 2020.[DR 4]
- Duncan originally intended for Way Big's appearance in the film to be a "big surprise". However, this was spoiled by the first movie trailer.[DR 5]
- The same trailer made its TV debut September 7th, during the television premiere of We Bare Bears: The Movie.
- A sneak peak of the film first aired following the premiere of The Hex Factor.
- This movie is the longest Ben 10 movie, as the running time is 72 minutes (approx. 1 1/4 hours) long.
- The original idea for AntiVilgax terraforming Earth was so he could control all of the ground like an extension of himself. However, the crew decided that escalating it too far and they did not know what to do with that towards the end of the film.[KT 1]
|Ben 10 Movies|
Ben 10 Versus the Universe: The Movie